Testimony Of The Ancients review by Pestilence

• Released: Sep 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Pestilence: Testimony Of The Ancients

The album is a very creative and driven combination between the good ole' fashion old school death metal we all know and love with the beauty and musical genius of progressive metal; "progressive death metal" if you will. There's alot of keyboards and synths used here, but it's all there to help build atmosphere. The guitar solos tend to wane towards more expressive, tuneful playing rather than the fast shredding they've been known to do on the previous two albums, but there's plenty of shredding to go around. The drums are pretty technical as well. Some may not like the fact that literally half of the tracks are fillers, but I like it because it helps you get in the feel of the album.

Genius, pure genius. There's alot of feeling in the lyrics, and when read along with the music playing, they can can be incredibly scary at times. They're an excellent way to get you into the album and the music. They also have a tendency to be mysterious and ominous, which is cool.

The only thing I didn't like what the tone of the drums - especially the bass drum. I felt they were a little weak. But aside from that,this is a very powerful album with lots of stuff you wouldn't expect from death metal. The best songs are "The Secrecies of Horror," "Twisted Truth," "Lost Souls," "Land of Tears," "Testimony" and "Stigmatized." This one's worth your money.

YouTube preview picture