Scratch My Back review by Peter Gabriel

• Released: Feb 12, 2010
Peter Gabriel: Scratch My Back

The production of the album itself is excellent, everything is very clear and concise. Peter's voice is as superb as ever, though it has changed over the years but it's still easily recognizable as his. This album is completely different from anything Gabriel has recorded before in that it has none of the traditional rock instruments for accompaniment, but instead a full orchestra with each track.

Not much to say about the lyrics in this review, as the whole album consists of cover songs, and the credit would have to go to the original artists, which range from David Bowie, to Arcade Fire to Lou Reed. Gabriel has changed the songs completely to the point when they are unrecognizable as the original tracks. Gabriel's versions of these songs are dreary, depressing and just overall sad sounding. This isn't a bad thing; they are very powerful.

It would be a near-impossible task to compare this to any of Peter's other albums, as mentioned earlier, it is just too different. The most impressive songs to me would be the opening song "Heroes" originally recorded by David Bowie, "Flume" originally by Bon Iver and "Power of the Heart" by Lou Reed. None of the tracks are weak per se, but if I had to choose my least favourite from this album, it would be "My Body Is A Cage" by Arcade Fire. It is still a good track, but not the best. Were this CD stolen or lost, I would not hesitate in buying a new copy of it. Recommended for sure.

acade365
    Didn't like the review. There's so much more you can say about this album... Also, for me, "My body is a cage" IS the best song on the album, it is obscure until the end when it turns into something wonderfully uplifting. The worst is "Street Spirit" IMO.
    AdenZerda
    What a short review... this doesn't give me any impression of the album one way or another.
    DualReaver
    this is an awful album and the reviewer should feel awful about giving it a not awful score