Jekyll & Hyde review by Petra

• Released: Aug 13, 2003
Petra: Jekyll & Hyde

This is one of Petra's heaviest sounding albums. The album kicks off with the cover "Jekyll & Hyde", and a sick guitar riff. The lyrics and vocals are both rather dark, and the song has a evil sound to it. "Would'a Should'a Could'a" begins with a '80s rock riff on heavy distortion, and then suddenly shifts toward clean guitar with a reverb effect. The best musically sounding songs on the album are "Jekyll & Hyde", "Would'a Should'a Could'a", and "Test Of Time". The overall sound of the album is good, with some great guitar riffs, and good music.

The lyrics for all of the songs are impressive. Petra does an awesome job in their songs of importing their own Christian beliefs while making great music. Many people may not agree with their views, but they do a great job anyway. The lead singer is very skilled at what he does, and has a great range, from metal to rock, even some country songs sometimes. Petra did a good job of putting their lyrics to music, fitting the words with appropriate music. "Jekyll & Hyde" sounds as evil as it looks, while "Would'a Should'a Could'a" gives the feeling of looking back at what you could of done better. Overall, a great album, lyrics and music.

Petra is a much better band than other similar rock/metal bands that I have heard. Skillet, for example, has some great songs, however, their lyrics tend to be mediocre. Petra's lyrics are stellar the whole way through the album. The best songs in the album are definitely "Jekyll & Hyde", "Test Of Time", and "Would'a Should'a Could'a". I personally love the mix of music, both metal and rock 'n' roll. The lead singer is able to transition between them too, not the just the instrumentalist. I would definitely put my money into buying this album.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

iplaycurling
    Nice review, a little short, but good. Petra definitely has had a long career full of different concepts and genres. One of my favorite songs off this album is "Life As We Know It". I prefer their first three albums where they sounded like the allman brothers. Glad to see someone enjoys some parts of this album, like I do.