Chicago, Chicagogoing, Chicagogone [DVD] review by Phantom Planet

• Released: Dec 14, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Phantom Planet: Chicago, Chicagogoing, Chicagogone [DVD]

This Los Angeles four-piece has been described as many things: pop, indie, lo-fi, this DVD as well as their latest Album demonstrates that they are just a really good rock band. The performances sound amazingly well, very expressive with a lot of energy. The dual guitar assault of Darren Robinson and Alex Greenwald on The Meantime is a highpoint of the DVD, Jeff Conrads' drumming provides a driving force for the band, while the inventive and melodic bass-work of Sam Farrar shines throughout the performances.

Content — 10
The DVD contains two full sets from shows at Schubas Tavern in Chicago and The Summer Sonic Festival in Tokyo, Japan. Most of the songs are from their latest self-titled album, but for fans of their older material, songs such as: Always On My Mind, In Our Darkest Hour, and California make it into the set list. There is also a video for the song 1st things 1st, which was shot, directed, and edited by drummer, Jeff Conrad. Other special features include a photobook by former band member Jaques Brautbar, a fan slideshow with pictures submitted by the fans, candid video clips taken on the road by the band, and footage from their very first show at the Dragonfly in 1995.

Production Quality — 8
The production quality was good, nothing over the top. Other live DVD's tend to be overproduced and lose focus of the experience of a live performance.

My overall impression of the DVD is that it captured the band at it's best, putting on great live performances. The special features are also great, giving the viewer a lot of insight into what it is like to go on tour with Phantom Planet and also how much they truly appreciate their fans. If this DVD were lost or stolen I would definately get it again.

Hultan