Raise The Dead review by Phantom Planet

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Phantom Planet: Raise The Dead

When I first heard Phantom Planets music, I had to take a step back. Modern guitar, with a '60's and 70's influence. It was weird. I couldn't comprehend how these could go together. But they do. In every track, there are multiple instruments going. It's not only guitar, bass, drums, there's saxophones, trombones, and some piano and other instruments. It's musically complex, and every part fits together. When I heard this album was hand picked out of 130 songs, down to 12, I was amazed. The first four tracks start it out with a bang, and the final 4 end it gracefully. I enjoy every single song on this album. For past fans of the band, or ones who own previous albums, this one is a combination of Phantom Planet and The Guest. It is his style of vocals from Phantom Planet, and the style of music from The Guest. But don't fear Phantom Planet fans! The final tracks are reminiscent of the grunge sound they used to bear. This is an album for everyone.

The lyrics in the album are absolutely fantastic. Alex Greenwalds voice also is the perfect one for the lyrics. From the song Leader, a masterpiece about a fictional cult (perfectly laced with children singing the intro and chorus along with Alex to give a chilling feeling) to Lost at Sea, in which the lyrics paint a story to go along with the amazing music. I should also mention that the vocal range in the album isn't too high or too low. It's absolutely perfect, and everyone is able to sing along with it.

In short, I can't believe this album (or the band) have not gotten a big fan base. They are an amazing band. You can tell in this album and all their other ones they had fun making and writing the songs and recording them for the final release. You can tell that they enjoy hanging out with their fans when they play an acoustic set after pretty much every show they do. They're an awesome band, and their music shows it.

Homestyle_Joe
    Phantom Planet is one of those bands that should be very popular, but it always seems to just elude them. They are musically talented, great live, great lyrics, and they care about their fans. This is my favorite band, and I've been trying to get the word out about them to my friends.
    Homestyle_Joe
    Oh, and buy the CD, its their best yet and thats saying something if you've heard their other albums.
    Dallen_007
    Always wanted to listen to them. A local band from my town went on tour with them last year.
    65_Mustang_1965
    I saw them live the other night. I respect that they're going for it, but they just weren't getting it done for me... New album was a 4.5 out of 10 in my book
    uiop21
    They're a very good band, live and on cd. This review sucks though