Walk Through Exits Only review by Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals

Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals: Walk Through Exits Only

Many people have been upset with Phil's recent vocal performances, but do not be mislead, he can still pull of a nice scream. Phil recently has been extremely influenced by black metal bands. The songs have constantly changing time signatures and all are extremely fast. There were some problems with the equalizing, the bass can almost not be heard. Another problem is that this entire album is an acquired taste. It took me, and most other people, a few listens to get into, or to even like. At first I thought I was hearing just a bunch of noise, but once you understand it, you begin to love it.

The lyrics are deep and meaningful. I believe they are about Phil's back issues, which led him to his heroin addiction, and all of the painful emotions and withdrawals he had went through. The song "Bedridden" definitely says this, telling us that he can't do anything he is in so much pain. He was bedridden The back of the case displays an x-ray, I believe, is of Phil Anselmo's back. And although Phil cannot go insane on stage anymore, his vocals are still raw and powerful.

Some people have said this album is the closest thing to the "Great Southern Trendkill," but to me, it is mostly it's own unique thing. I have personally never heard anything like it, and that is good! Phil is bringing something new to the world, and it's almost nothing like his previous projects. Hopefully more bands will take this example, and add their own personality to it. The sound quality and equalizing could have been a little better, but it is not terrible. There are plenty of more bands that have had way worse quality recordings.