Collide With The Sky review by Pierce the Veil

• Released: Jul 17, 2012
Pierce the Veil: Collide With The Sky

"Collide With The Sky" - an album that is sure to keep your head rockin' all the way through. Pierce The Veil, being a post-hardcore band, shows many sides of the way they create their music. Looking back at their past 2 albums, I'll say that this album is going in the right direction. This album is heavier in many ways. After listening through quite a few times, I noticed how most of these songs kind of link in towards each other. Each song is pretty similar, but they do each one well. I know most people will think that that is a bad thing, but each song displays a different story. The thing I liked about this album is that they decided to stay more in tone with the post-hardcore genre, and it really shows. They always had breakdowns on their albums, but nothing too fancy. Now, they bring in more build up points, and it just sounds better, and more mature. One more thing: I am no PTV fanboy.

A lot of the songs are very deep, but usually typically talking about a girl. "Hell Above" pretty much tells a story about how Vic wants to get away from his home, and that it's hell. The song also tells about how he's going to forget about his father and become alone. "A Match Into Water", being one of my favorite tracks on this album, represent how Vic kisses the scars on the skin of a dead woman, and how he still thinks she's beautiful, and doesn't want to lose her. I liked the feeling of how this song turned out. Some people may find the message weird, or whatever, but I just go along with it. I mean, music is supposed to have some interesting and cool meanings to their songs. Overall, the message of that song, shows how it's very easy to lose a girl. "King For A Day", pretty much says what this album is going to sound like. This song is pretty damn good, and surprisingly brutal. Knowing the fact that Kellin Quinn from Sleeping With Sirens is also in the song, a lot of fans might get turned off by this, but I got news to tell ya; the guy is talented. I liked how they mixed Kellin's vocals in, and just the collaboration with him and Vic fits in very well. The song is about how if he could imagine himself being a king, and ruling other people, and how he wishes for better times, instead of being pushed around his entire life. "The First Punch" definitely would have to be one of my favorite songs off the album. The mexican side of them really show with the Spanish guitars start off at the beginning, and then all of a sudden, it goes into a cool breakdown. The chorus is insanely catchy. Overall, just a very cool song. "Bulls On The Bronx" would have to be my favorite song, though. A very catchy song, mixed in with a whole lot of everything. Towards the middle of the song, Spanish guitar playing appears, and it's just insanely sick. Then towards the end, piano playing goes off. It's just so cool how they pulled it all off on this one song.

"I'm Low On Gas, You Need Jacket" was probably my least favorite track, just because of how slow the song was itself. It just bored me. This band I think would compare to Sleeping With Sirens, A Skylit Drive, and Blessthefall. But overall, great album, and great listen.

strat07
    the first song i heard from these guys was King For A Day from the new album you just reviewed... Quickly i managed to find their older albums and listen to them... i liked them alot... but Collide with the sky took my heart... Great modern album with alot of great guitar ideas, hooks, good vocals and great musical approaches. There's quite a bit of originality in this one its a great listen! 9/10
    jBracken_2010
    RylanThePotato
    RylanThePotato wrote: I Always liked these guys, just can't stand their "OMG VIC FUENTES IZ SOO HAWT
    meant to put fanbase at the end of that, oops.
    jBracken_2010
    vppark2
    jBracken_2010 wrote: vppark2 wrote: jBracken_2010 wrote: Awesome album. Doesn't rock as hard as the previous two, but has it's own flavor. Like the last two were Pepsi, this is Dr. Pepper. Different, just as good. Kind of disappointed that they followed that "Tune super low" trend, but unlike other bands, they don't lean on it. It's just there. I saw them at Warped before this came out so I didn't get the opportunity to hear anything but King For A Day live, but I'm sure it kills. Nice job PTV. 8* yeah, like i am not a huge PTV fan but just the vibe of this album did it for me. the previous 2, idk, but it just stick out as much for me. i missed them at warped tho, kinda bummed about that. I saw them in Kansas, it was pretty good. Kellin Quinn came up and did his part in King For A Day.
    So sad haha that must of been awesome. I missed SWS as well, Motionless In White, and Memphis May Fire. I am just glad i enjoyed my time seeing other bands like Yellowcard and Four Year Strong =)
    LightxGrenade
    I liked this album quite a bit. Pierce the Veil manages to make a sound that's distinctly theirs without churning out the same album over and over. My only complaint is that certain songs have lyrics that sound like they were written when the guys were 15 or something lol while other songs feature much more clever writing.
    vppark2
    jBracken_2010 wrote: The Used was sick. Literally. Bert spits on people. A lot.
    Lmao damn, yeah ill keep that in mind if they play again. They didnt play in my area. I live in MA, so i was almost thinking of traveling to NY just to see them play. I missed Senses Fail too...
    francesca.idunn
    Can someone please tell me what tuning is this album? Cause King is in DROP B and Bulls in DROP C#
    The Spoon
    I remember liking these guys' first album, and wanting to get the second. I respect these guys, but Vic's voice just isn't appealing to me anymore.