Selfish Machines review by Pierce the Veil

• Released: Jun 21, 2010
Pierce the Veil: Selfish Machines

The overall sound of the album is similar to A Flair for the Dramatic; a huge amount of riffs, high pitched vocals, quick tempos, and so on. If you liked A Flair for the Dramatic, you'll like Selfish Machines. The one difference I perceived was a dramatic improvement in the talent of the lead guitarist. Vic recorded all the guitar in A Flair for the Dramatic, however it's clear Tony Perry is more apt at quick lead riffs and licks that catch the ear's attention. The opening track, Besitos, has an amazingly catchy guitar lick. The album seems like a natural progression from A Flair for the Dramatic. They have come very close to perfecting the style of music they play. They mix in a variety of sounds into their post-hardcore and it comes out sounding like screamo on acid.

The lyrics are in a similar vein to Vic's previous lines. They are somewhat obscure and it takes a bit of thinking to understand what he means. He uses metaphors very often, some would say he overuses them in fact. I find his lyrical style a fresh change from the average song. Relationships are definitely the domain of Pierce the Veil and they do a damn good job of capturing the thoughts of lovers. Vic's high pitched voice is a common aesthetic of modern post-hardcore and Vic has it down pat. However his voice would sound all the more sweeter if he varied up his style a bit.

It is a shining example of what can be done in the screamo genre. Selfish Machines is one of the best post-hardcore albums I've heard, it is solid throughout and filled to the brim with talent. It can be very chaotic or very structured, depending on the emotion being conveyed. However, I think Vic would do well to vary his approach. After searching for flaws, that is all the negative commentary I could muster. Selfish Machines is a very good album, I did not buy it because I am streaming it off their myspace so I think it would be very hard for someone to steal. The best song's are, in my opinion, Besitos, The Boy Who Could Fly, Caraphernelia, and Disasterology but my favorites will likely change the next time I listen to the album.

The Spoon
    This band is actually surprisingly good for the image they have. I don't really base a band off of their image in the first place, but if you do, you should definitely try and give them a listen before you judge.
    Faux~Affliction
    guitarsftw
    EpiExplorer wrote: More '- the -' bands.
    *verb* + the + *noun* = countless band names I can't say anything about the formulaic nature (or perhaps lack there-of) of this band, but I can definitely label their band name as a result from a generic/cliche formula.
    Rockinguitar
    EpiExplorer wrote: More '- the -' bands.
    Which would be more applicable if PTV hadn't been around since, like '99.
    Emmazingx
    One of many of the post-hardcore bands from the SoCal area. But, they're much different than those shitty average bands that you're used to hearing about on myspace and purevolume. Hands down, they're my favourite band. I fell in love with them back when it was just Vic and Mike in Before Today and they've progressed GREATLY since then. I don't think they're selling out, referring to a previous comment, but there are some things I really don't like about what they're doing. AKA, the autotune. And all those little girls pretending to like them, Jesus Christ. Vic's lyrics are simply amazing to me, a nice break from that repetitive Justin Bieber junk. Oh, and. I hated their review in AP, though. They deserved a much better review and this album is NOTHING like "Love Drunk" by Boys Like Girls. (You'll know what I'm talking about if you've read the article.)
    sophos24
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: they're selling out and they're not even that popular. i felt this album was worse than the first one.
    You clearly have absolutely no ****ing clue what it means to sell out then.
    billyydg
    Idiot. For one thing, they're pretty popular. Also, do you even know what selling out means? You pretty much contradicted yourself saying "They're not popular, but they are selling out." They're playing the music they want to. That 's not selling out. Both albums were amazing, and they have waayy more talent thatn you kid.
    pnkhrdwndr
    I greatly enjoyed this cd. I also really enjoy this band. it was a good good album
    sophos24
    Faux~Affliction wrote: I'm done with power-pop, pop-punk, whatever you want to call it. All that crappy power-chord ridden, sugar-coated, sappy, attractive band member junk. I haven't listened to any of that in AGES. However I CAN say that this band (and especially this album) changes that. This is the only album in the entire genre I like. It's something different, it's got a heavy, fast, punk twist to it that I like. I would almost say they're doing the opposite of selling out; they're playing more of what they would actually LIKE to play. Kudos Pierce The Veil.
    This isn't even close to power-pop or pop-punk.
    r0ckth3d34n