Prowler In The Yard Review

artist: Pig Destroyer date: 11/05/2004 category: compact discs
Pig Destroyer: Prowler In The Yard
Released: Jul 24, 2001
Genre: Rock
It is actually a sort of grindcore equivalent to a rock concept album, at least in terms of the lyrics, which detail the disturbing final thoughts of a stalker parked outside his ex-girlfriend's house.
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Prowler In The Yard Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2004

Sound: This is one aggressive sounding album. You really need to get used to the volume, even if you normally listen to metal or other loud guitar music. Pig Destroyer really tried to capture anger and aggression in their music and succeeded with an A+. JR Hayes is screaming his lungs out which makes everything very emotional and passionate. In my opinion he's one of the best singers in the grindcore scene. Scott Hulls guitar work is smashing and crushes your eardrums in a 36 minute rampage of violent insanity. Fast, difficult riffs give a unique mix of grind, metal, punk and trash. And Brian Harvey is really giving everything he has, amplifying the guitar parts with his explosive drumming. PxPx doesn't have a bass player. But bass player would probably only make things messy. Scott's guitar is tuned very low so they don't really need one. The complete album is played with two guitars which gives it an extra cool sound. May be too agressive or noisy for some people, but I love every second of it. // 10

Lyrics: JR's writings seem very vague when you read them at first. But combining the cd with the lyrics in the booklet, suddenly the screams on the cd become words when you read along. It's very emotion driven. JR Writes about all kinds of different situations in life, very deep and impulsive. Best lyrics I've heard/read in years. The intro and outro form a little gruelsome bedtime story read in a weird computer voice, but very very interesting to listen to. Very nice lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Pig Destroyer really is a tight band. Scott's guitar is the base of a song, Brian ampifies the whole thing with his drums, and JR finishes the whole thing as a cherry on the top. It's definately one of the best albums I've heard in years. Very explosive and emotion-driven. Songs like Trojan Whore and Junkyard God really give me an energy boost. Many people will think of this music as pure noise or something, but I don't think they really listened and experienced the cd as they were supposed to. Though I can imagine you have to have a more metal background to really get into this music. If it were stolen I'd find the bastard who did it and tell him to buy his own copy, because music like this shouldn't be stolen. Support the hard working people 'cause they worked harder on this album then people like Britney do in their whole career. Anyway this is one of the two best albums in my collection, together with the new Pig Destroyer album that I've bought today. // 10

Comments