The Reckoning Review

Pillar: The Reckoning
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Flicker
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Rap-Metal
While the band has earned its fair share of accolades and admiration, Pillar is ready to set the record straight with their latest The Reckoning.
 Lyrics: 8.5
The Reckoning Reviewed by: aenimafist, on august 22, 2007

Sound: Pillar utilizes their fast guitar playing and occasionally rappy vocals to bring forth a Krank-powered heavy metal mayhem. Guitarist Noah Henson demonstrates his extreme shredding skills with an intense but modest approach while Singer Rob Beckley shows us all once again that he can handle any kind of vocalization whether it be growling or screaming. Bassist Kalel show his skill working the four-string and Lester Estelle shows off his great drum tone. // 10

Lyrics: Rob Beckley has a vioce like no other in that there is no other vocalist around whose voice sounds like his. He can sing normally quite well and he can also do the screaming vocals like he demonstrates on Tradgedy (I think). He knows how to handle singing under a muffled voice with great prowess in the song Crossfire. In all honesty I was trying not to listen to the lyrics because they would distract me from all the good music but I know they are probably christian in meaning. // 9

Overall Impression: This is maybe the band's second best effort after Where Do We Go From Here? but all of their albums demonstrate the same things and therefore all recieve the same amount of favorable attention. I got the special edition of this album which came with a DVD full of interviews and a full live concert in cluded. These bonus features are fun to watch because the artists explain their equipment and how to play different stuff. It is definately worth getting the special edition for a few dollars more. // 9

The Reckoning Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2008

Sound: 5 Words: this album is f--king awesome! I actualy got their second CD, where do we go from here, first and then bought the reckoning. The sound differs a lot but stil a great album! Took some time to grow on me. This is how I would describe every song: 01.Everything: great song. I love the structure: Slow intro and verse and then the chorus comes smashing in. A lot like the old pillar (WDWGFH). 8/10 02.Awake: one of my faverite songs on the album. Great mellow base line in the begging and then a great chorus, still maintaining a mellow atmosphere but good enough to keep you listening. Great use of background screams in the chorus. 9/10 03.When tommorow comes: also one of my faverites. Catchy verse, slow pre-chorus and then the chorus crashes in. Great lyrics! 10/10 04.The Reckoning: the title track. Don't know why though. The song took some time to grow on me. Great guitars in this song! 7/10 05.Tragedy: scared the crap out of me! Definitly a lot different than anysong on WDWGFH. Great chorus+lyrics! 9/10 06.Last Goodbye: ok-ish song. Still waiting for it to grow on me. I like the chorus though. 8/10 07.Angel in disguise: also a weaker song for me. I think it's about a girls relationship with her dad. 6/10 08.Elysian: an instrumental track. Would have been great if the guitar didn't repeat itself. 7/10 09.Crossfire: great song except for the verse. don't realy like it that the singers voice is muffled. Still a great chorus. 8/10 10.Resolution: my faverite song on the album! Great use of occasional double vocals in the verse. Love the chorus! Kinda reminds me of the old pillar. 10/10 11.Sometimes: also a great song. A soft, weird, intro and then the verse jumps followed by a great upbeat chorus. 9/10 12.Wherever the wind blows: great mellow vocals. This song became my new lullaby. 9/10 13.Chasing shadows at midnight: great way to end an album! Great, steady verse with a more upbeat chorus. Great solo! // 9

Lyrics: The vocals on this album are amazing! Rob is definitly the perfect singer for pillar! He uses a great balance of singing, screaming and eventual growling. The lyrics on the other side didn't impress me that much. I mean if you listen to the lyrics you wouldn't be able to say that they're a christain band. Still a few good lyrics here and there. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good album but compared to fireproof and WDWGFH it sound like a april fools joke. The best song would be Tragedy, Everything, Awake, When tomorrow comes and Resolution. I don't think I would buy it again. Instead I would listen to my WDWGFH album. // 8

Comments