Pied Piper review by Pillows

• Released: Jun 25, 2008
Pillows: Pied Piper

In what some would say is the pillows return to glory, their latest release 'Pied Piper' is bound to please. Frontman Sawao Yamanaka recently stated how the Pied Piper of Hamlelin lured rats and children with his pipe, he wanted to lead the world with his rock. Though Wake Up! Wake Up! Wake Up! was a great album, it no doubt lacked something. Well, PP takes up where it left off and is a real great album. It flows wonderfully track to track. The opening title track starts the album with a bang, and from there on, from the first reverb tinged intro of Pied Piper, you know this album will rock. My favorite track on the album would have to be Last Holiday or the song for Hermit, a longtime friend of Sawao's and a member of his label, Delicious Label.

Being a Japanese album, most would probably not understand the lyrics. Those of us who know Japanese or care enough to look up translations are bound to be pleased. Sawao works his lyric magic again on this album. Themes range from love to mantaining individuality. Those who don't understand/don't care what is being said will at least notice the perfect mesh of music with lyrics. Sawao's melodies are still as strong as ever, as is Sawao's voice. It's still amazing ol' Sawao, and his dynamic range is still great. You really know it's classic pillows in songs like New Animal. Sawao starts with the first verse, almost talking. The second verse is classic Sawao, not necessarily screaming, but just classic Sawao delivery. There is no other way to describe it.

Overall I'd say this album is a 9. I'm being fair in that it's not a perfect album like Thank You My Twilight or Please Mr. Lostman. It IS a great album though. As compared to their recent releases I'd say it's better than Wake Up! x3, but equal to My Foot. Others will like it more than My Foot, but I loved My Foot. My favorite songs on this album are Last Holiday and New Animal, with Pied Piper and the song for Hermit coming close. All of them have great instrumentation, great solos, great melodies. Everything is just perfect. One thing you may notice in this album is the utilization of Jun. the bass really shines, more so than any other albums as of late. Really good stuff. This is a very fun album to play along with also, and a really good one to train your ear and figure out the songs on your own. If it were stolen, I'd deffinately get it again, though it'd be on my iPod.

Linkerman
    SLD.Potato wrote: Gaaah! It's "the pillows", not "The Pillows"!!!
    I know. But since i didn't want to use the "" symbols all the time, i decided to use "The Pillows" so that my writing could be more fluid. :p
    love21415
    perfect. as usual. all of their songs are so awkward and lovable. (wonderful world is my favorite.)