A Momentary Lapse Of Reason review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Sep 8, 1987
Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

In 1985, Roger Waters left Pink Floyd and sued the band for continued use of the name Pink Floyd. The rest of the band members said that it was a brand and that they could make money off of it. What does this have to do with "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"? Well, as it turns out, this was the first Pink Floyd album to be released without Roger Waters and it's noticeably different music-wise from anything the band had ever made beforehand. This album sounds a bit less like Pink Floyd and more like something along the lines of a Post-Punk group, who were influenced by Pink Floyd, which isn't all bad.

The lyrics as well as the tone of the lyrics doesn't seem that different from Waters-era Floyd, other than a very harsh vocal delivery on some songs, though for all I know, that could have been entirely intentional. The music, however, is severely mismatched with the lyrics on a couple of tracks and I personally found myself with a strong urge to just skip those tracks altogether. For the majority of the album, there's a nice harmony, but like I already said, this does not sound like a Pink Floyd album, regardless of how good it may be.

If you want my complete and honest opinion, then here it is: "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is a good album, but it's not a great album and it shouldn't be regarded as a must-have, unless of course, you happen to be one of those true musicophiles who make it their goal in life to get every single album by any band they like more than about 10 songs of. If you're a normal Pink Floyd fan, I can't think of a reason why you would actually need to buy this album. Maybe I could see why you might have it on your iPod, but actually owning a physical CD/Vinyl? Only if you must have it all.

Way Cool JR.
    I don't care what anybody says, Roger Waters or no Roger Waters this is a great fricken album.