A Saucerful Of Secrets review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jan 1, 1968
Pink Floyd: A Saucerful Of Secrets

Brilliant! While it's still heavily laced with psychadelia you can hear the musical direction in which Pink Floyd began to take to become one of the greatest (and in my humble opinion, the greatest) musical groups of all time. Richard Wright controls the mood with his keyboards and synthesizer and David Gilmour plays as perfectly as he always does. Perfect timing, astonishing sound. All four members contribute equally and their respective talents are blended harmoniously with all others to ensure nobody gets left behind and that nobody is in sole control.

What can you say about Roger Waters' lyric abilities? They fit the music, they fit the theme. Although simply reading them doesnt't allow them to make sense (as many LSD, psychadelic lyrics didn't at that time) once set to music they take on a new form and become a catalyst for the music.

One of my favorite albums, Pink Floyd or otherwise. Corporal Clegg and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun are astounding. Although I could set any PF album on repeat and be in heaven, there are three that come to mind first. Saucerful of Secrets being one, Animals and Obscured by Clouds being the other two. The only thing I have to say negatively about this album is that it starts Roger Waters' continued parlance about war as is evident throughout the PF discography (DSOTM, The Wall, The Final Cut, and all Waters' solo efforts with the exception of Ca Ira). As gripping and poigniant as it is, it would have been nice for more diversity (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, Wish you were Here, and Animals are the only Waters-era PF albums that do not mention war as a theme).

RickGardiner
    I can't find this album anywhere, it's the only PF one I don't have. Sounds like it's awesome though.