Animals review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jan 14, 1977
Pink Floyd: Animals

Preceding this record are the more popular wish you were here and dark side. This album I believe is to be pink floyds angirest probably because of the emerging punk scene. Anyway the sound on this record is harsh unlike the preceding two which as we know are sound perfect again probably intentional. 01. Pigs On The Wing Pt. 1 - a short acoustic piece that bookend the album probably taking the piss out of the massive hit wish you were here. 02. Dogs - the longest song on the album going on for about 17 mins the most epic. Some people might have trouble listening to this piece but prog fans and the like will love it great guitar solos by gilmour. 03. Pigs 3 Different Ones - the most quirkest song on the album contains good bass licks and the funky upbeat mood gets you bobbing. The ending solo for though is something I like because its different because gilmour usually play bluesy type numbers but here its just like a big wall of distortion and its angrier, it's not that hard but that just speaks to me. the middle bit is a bit long. 04. Sheep - my vote as the most darkest song on the album again has some good guitar parts but the best is the haunting synth work in the middle and the voice box thin go. 05. Pigs On The Wing Pt. 2 - almost identical to the 1st part caps off the album.

At this point waters was getting more and more stressed and lyrics kinda of go pessimistic from here on in as you know by The Wall. The lyrics are based on George Orwells 1942 polictical novel Animal Farm and basically pulls apart each genre of person i. e. pigs, sheep and dogs. At this point the band was floating on "Thin Ice" but I believe that this is probably the basswork is the best of rogers. Although hints of the pessimistic lyrics are on previous albums it's shown here moreso because he sings on every song waters was just turning into a megalomaniac. I do feel the lyrics are actually more angry than the wall thats just mostly depressing.

The good thing about floyd though is each album sounds different not a contender for a masterpiece like Dark Side this album has been forgotten. The material was probably made long to get rid of radio play but not the fans. This alums is a decent statement of where they were at the time although rick wrights input seems limited here. The sound may be a bit rough but its a very good floyd album worth listening to if this cd was lost or stolen I would probably by it again not a good starting point for begining floyd fans.