Animals review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jan 14, 1977
Pink Floyd: Animals

5 songs. Solid psychedelic rock. Lots of acoustic guitar mixed with slow, almost mournful bass rhythyms and David Gilmour's breathtaking guitar solos. However, there is a definite shift away from the "space rock" of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. 01. Pigs On The Wing - acoustic intro song, about 1: 30 long. Nothing too special. 02. Dogs - 17 some minutes long. Loooong song! Poignant lyrics about, well, about almost everything. Does not change too much rhythm-wise for such a long one though, but has a few solos mixed in. Best song on the album. 03. Pigs - lots of weird oinking. Lyrics are uninspired. Just plain bad. Worse because its 11-12 minutes long. 04. Sheep - at first glance the lyrics seem bizarre, but reading between the lines predicts some sort of revolution. The Sheep (us) revolt and try to kill the dogs and farmer (communists or society as a whole), but someone else takes over and we are all sheep again. Bizarre. 10 minutes long. 05. Pigs On The Wing 2 - talks about the "revolution" being over, and nothing has changed (literally nothing has changed - the song is the exact same as pigs on the wing 1 with different lyrics).

Supposedly inspired by George Orwell's Animal Farm, the lyrics take a menacing downturn. Aimed at the human race as a whole, the lyrics suggest anger at society made of false friends and charades. The lyrics fit the music very well, but sometimes lack space. To me, it almost seems to be wanna be punkish in the theme of anti-society and revolution. But that might be a bit of a stretch.

Compared to any other Floyd album, mediocre. If I lost it, I'd steal the money to get it again, but I wouldn't work hard-earned hours to buy it. Buy it for Dogs and the two Pigs on the Wings. Or just Dogs. It's 17 minutes, about a buck for a minute.