Animals review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jan 14, 1977
Pink Floyd: Animals

Although Animals is one of Pink Floyd's lesser known albums, it's not bad on any level. Pink Floyd sound is rarely the same but always similar, pop based prog rock, basically. However, on Animals it deviates more so than usual, with heavy use of delay, fuzz bass solos, and other oddities, it feels about half Dave era Pink and half Syd era Floyd. That's the beauty of Animals. My favorite song on the album is the one that deviates from the madness of the 3 other tracks, Pigs On The Wing (Parts I & II). It's an acoustic song with a guitar solo in it that's pretty near perfect.

The lyrics on this album are some of the most outstanding by Roger, if not anyone ever. Not to say it's the best album out there, but lyrically, the story of Animals is one to interpret among yourselves as an Orwellian tale of 3 types of animals (or really, 3 classes of people) each struggling to get by. Throw in the personal meaning of the first and last tracks (Pigs On The Wing Parts I & II) and the simple lyrical reference that any fool knows this dog needs a home, and you have something that started out as a lyrical showcase and ended up a musical one, too.

It's not as easily accessible as Dark Side Of The Moon. It's not as interesting of a story as The Wall, with less familiar songs on it. It's shorter than most Floyd albums. There's a pretty moment here or there, but nothing like Wish you were here. But still, I consider Animals a great Pink Floyd album, had it been released by another band, it would've been considered a landmark new album in progressive rock when it came out. But instead, it was tossed aside as just another Pink Floyd album. And it's better than just another Pink Floyd album: it's just another great Pink Floyd album.

guitar_freak93
    Animals is my favourite Pink Floyd album. My favourite song on it is either "Pigs" or "Sheep".
    Fuzzbox91
    I listened to "sheep" while falling asleep on a bus and i had a really weird psycadelic dream where i was flying trough this weird city and i cant really explain it but anyway great album one of my favorites
    kmbuchamushroom
    I've been obsessed with Pigs (Three Different Ones) for the past week. Great Album, 'nuff said, although it takes a while to get into it. Hard to believe this hadn't been reviewed yet.
    R0CKER1220
    I've only heard three or four complete Floyd albums but out of those, this one is without a doubt my favorite. I found it in my parents' vinyl collection a while ago and listened to it every chance I got. I've since gotten it on CD, though.
    Page&HammettFan
    'Tis an incredible album. I listen to the thing in full almost every time, I've only listened toa single song to show my buddy some of the album. It's too incredible to only listen to a song or two.
    aldor177
    i think the best song of this album is sheep. i loved the guitar chord solo at the end