Animals review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jan 14, 1977
Pink Floyd: Animals

It's made after The Dark Side Of The Moon which changed the style of Pink Floyd entirely. The complete album is based on (as the title refers) animals. The first song Pigs on the Wing(Part One), then Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones), Sheep and Pigs on the Wing(Part Two). The album is build up in a very strong way, the first song is a short intro and the last one a short outro. The three songs in between seem to be comparing animals to humans in my eyes. Pigs(Three Different Ones) the first part of the song seems to be about a man who has a company where worker are exploited, the second part the person or pig is just like in the first part reffered to as someone you laugh at. The third part is about a christian politician that wanted cleaner tv. This part is slightly different from the others. It's undeniably Pink Floyd as you expect it but then again not, if you listen to a part without vocals so you don't recognize the voices you can still here by the sound that it's Pink Floyd. Yet they still try new things, one of those things I never heard before is the fading of Roger's voice into a synthesizer sound in Sheep.

The lyrics are brilliant, they comparison made in Pigs (Three Different Ones) is fantastic. The song dogs could be divided in parts too, the first is about dogs obviously. Then you think they continue to sing about dogs but in the second part you can easily think it's about humans but they seem to be acting like dogs. The humans they are referring too seem to be rich people again. In Sheep it's different, it's more about the workers or the people. Dogs tell them what to do and are the leaders. The sentence "You better watch out, there may be dogs about" could mean that the people must watch out for politicians or people with power. The lyrics tell a story and it makes the album sound like the vision of Pink Floyd on the world of 1977. Roger and David always sing great and so do they here, the fading away, the quick jumps from soft to loud and the sound of their voice is fantastic.

You couldn't compare this album to any non-Pink Floyd albums. It has the sound of the Pink Floyd after The Dark Side Of The Moon and in my opinion is a milestone in their music. Every song is original yet they still belong together because of the sound and lyrics. There's nothing for me to hate and I don't know how you can make it better but I'm not giving it a 10 since the Pink Floyd members could probally do it.

Tele Echoes
    ^ Yes, I discovered it at the end of a bootleg I got. Rather curious that I would find a rare studio track at the end of an Animals tour bootleg, but an awesome happening for sure. David's best guitar work is on "Dogs", while Roger's best compositions and vocals and lyrics are his personal best on "Pigs" and more importantly "Sheep". The album, as expected, ends like it begins, as is a Pink Floyd staple to a point with "Pigs On The Wing" Love Animals to death, but nothing on any album will compare to those notes in Shine On, or Rog's haunting singing on that piece. It sure is worthy of a 70s Pink Floyd album. I say that because the band didn't start making front to back masterpieces until DSOTM, although on Meddle the start and end with masterpieces. Animals is definately the climax of Pink Floyd's musical success, since The Wall is a Roger Waters production performed by Pink Floyd....
    #1floydfan
    comfortably numb and run like hell were origanly gilmours with waters lyrics and young lust was co-written by them. anyways i love gilmours solos on dogs and pigs. Little known fact, gilmour played the bass on pigs(three different ones)
    zman@home
    I think Animals is the perfect transition from "wish you were here" to the madness of "ther Wall". In some ways it reminds me of the 1071 Floyd release "Meddle".
    pinkfloydfish
    Yet again Pink Floyd created an absolute masterpiece. This album is beautiful and innovative musically and intensely criticising lyrically. One more reason of many that Pink Floyd is my favorite band.