Atom Heart Mother review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Oct 5, 1970
Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother

Atom Heart Mother is my favorite Pink Floyd album and the main reason is the music. The first track, "Atom Heart Mother," is probably floyds longest instrumental track but in the top 3 all time floyd instrumentals. The unique thing about it is. It's like a orchestral instrumental rock song, something you dont see too often. The music for, "If," is a lovely acoustic guitar bit played throughout the whole of the song plus a electric guitar bit played during the lyrical breaks which is kind of the 'solo' for this song. "Summer 68" is the best track on here musically because of Rick Wrights amazing piano work. There is not a flaw in this whole song. The thing that makes this track different is the part where the trumpets and horns come in. It just makes this song so much better with that. "Fat Old Sun" is another one of those wonderful musical songs. The chords used go well with the lyrics and make you feel good when you listen to the chord progression. The solo is something words cannot explain. It is the best solo in history of music in my opinion. The solo fits this song perfectly and makes it a 'standout track' on this album. Lastly comes "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast". This track is my favorite instrumental of all time. It is different from anything I've ever heard because of the kitchen noises in the intro and outro. The piano is the best I've ever heard and I love this song for that fact. The guitar solo in the outro is one of the best solos for David Gilmour in my opinion. Overal this album, musically, is a perfect 10 out of 10.

Lets start from the top: 01. Atom Heart Mother - not really any words in this song except for maybe a few here and there you can barely hear. 02. If - the lyrics for "If" remind me greatly of "Brain Damage" because of the lyric "And if I go insane, please dont put your wires in my brain" + "and if I go insane will you still let me join in with the game." The lyrics are probably Roger Waters best up until The Dark Side Of The Moon. Good chorous as well. 03. Summer '68 - the lyrics for "Summer '68" are very peculiar. They do not rhyme one time I believe but still manage to make this song a 'standout track'. I love this song because the music goes along wonderfully with the lyrics. Awesome lyrical song. Reminds me of "See-Saw" because of the no-rhyming thing. 04. Fat Old Sun - these are in my opinion David Gilmour's saddest and happiest lyrics rolled up into one song. It basically reminds me of when I was younger because the things that he says are the things that I lived around: childrens laughter, smell of new mown grass, distant bells, etc. This is in my opinion the most underrated Floyd song out there but is my favorite song from Pink Floyd. It is the best song on Atom Heart Mother. I love this song and im sure others would if they listened to it. 05. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - the talking man in the beginning is very humouous and enjoyable. The song would not be the same if the talking man was not on this track. The frequent "Marmalade, I love marmalade" is very heart warming to me. The different breakfast foods he mentions is very enjoyable to me to listen to. Great lyrics to an even better song.

Atom Heart Mother compares to The Dark Side Of The Moon if you ask me but does not compare to any other album by the floyd but this one. The songs are all wonderful and joyous which make it a stellar album. I love everything about this album. There is nothing that I hate. If it was stolen from me I would be out there right now tracking one down, it is that good of an album. I give it a 10 out of 10 for Floyd albums. The best track on here is hard to chose because there all good tracks. I would say maybe "Fat Old Sun" because of the well blended music and lyrics along with the solo.

the piper
    I have to say that the Suite, and Summer 68 are extremely genious. I have tabbed Atom Heart Mother Suite and believe me I'm not even ure if some of the brass is right or the choir.
    Nilcerise
    walkinbazooka
    Nilcerise wrote: this is a good floyd album but not really showing much towards what they can truely do and show in music capability
    Maybe not as far as technical ability wanders but what about in the matter of composition? There is no way that you cannot say that the orchestral leads and arrangements in Atom Heart Mother and Summer '68 are not absolutely amazing.