Dark Side Of The Moon review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Mar 24, 1973
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

I had just bought this album after hearing the unanimous praise poured upon it by yours truly, UG. This was the first time I had ever heard a Pink Floyd record, and, WOW! Soundwise, there is a hell of a lot going on on this album. Every song flows beautifully into the next. The opener, Speak To Me, immediately gave an idea of what I was about to experience, beginning with a kind of heartbeat, followed by rattling tills, engines, manic voices and screaming. Sorry? It opens into Breathe, which left me bouncing with excitement, nothing to do with the tone of the song, but because it was just so goddamn awesome, that I knew I was onto something special. I instantly liked whoever it was singing's voice (I think its Roger Waters). After Breathe came the uptempo On the Run, which at first I disliked, but now I've grown to appreciate and enjoy a bit more. The next two songs, Time and The Great Gig In the Sky, are simply put, breathtaking. Time opens with an explosion of ticking clocks, while TGGITS opens quietly with a lovely piano melody, before Clare Torry soars in with some amazing screaming (don't be alarmed, it sounds great). I love the way in the second have of this track her voice takes backstage to the piano, even though she seems to be screaming as loud as ever. Song number five, Money, has definately got the catchiest riff of the album, and opens with the opening and shutting of tills and rattling coins. Its an excellent song, if not my favourite, and I have to say that I love the trumpet and screeching guitar solos. Us And Them, the next track, is certainly one of my favourite tunes. I love the pattern they have of having this long break in the middle, before the final verse. I especially like the pacing of this song, in particular the manner in which its sung. Any Colour You Like, to be fair, is alright, so far I would say that its easily my least favourite song on DSOTM. Brain Damage, on the other hand, IS without doubt my favourite song: I love the simple riff, the chorus's, everything! Finally, Eclipse is a suitably epic finish to this remarkable album.

Lyrics are unsurpassed in my opinion. 'nuff said. The best lyrics are on Breathe, Time, Money, Us and Them, Brain Damage and Eclipse, can you spot a pattern here? The album ends with the brilliant line: "Everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." Philosiphical stuff.

If this was lost, I would buy it again. Highlights include Speak To Me/Breathe, Time, The Great Gig In The Sky, Money, Us And Them, Brain Damage and Eclipse. That's seven out of nine, and the other two are pretty good as well, hell they're probably awesome, its just all above me. I love the way it's all put together, it doesn't like a collection of unrelated songs. I would say buy it, but then I'm probably the last person ever to have done so. Magnificent.

Floyd1122
    I'm too lazy to write a review, but the people who've already reviewed it hit the nail on the head.