Dark Side Of The Moon review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Mar 24, 1973
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

Softer than most of the stuff I listen to. Very "spacey" guitar work, some songs are a little long, but you can't help to listen to the whole song because it's so mezmerizing. It's the classic Pink Floyd sound. I love the bass intro to "Money", which is my favorite Pink Floyd song of all time. Some of my favorite tracks on this CD are "Time", "Money", "The Great Gig In The Sky", and "Brain Damage". The solos in all the songs are phenomenal. David Gilmour bends when there needs to be a bend, holds when there needs to be a hold, and pauses when there needs to be a pause. The female singer in "The Great Gig In The Sky" is probably the best female vocalist I've ever heard. Not many people can solo vocally, but she sure can. Even though I love this album, I believe it is a bit overrated. It gets a 10 in sound, nonetheless.

The lyrics in the songs are exactly what the title of the song is. "Money" is about money. "Time" is about time. "The Great Gig In The Sky" doesn't have any lyrics, but I still love it. People have said to have seen "syncs" between "The Wizard of Oz" and "Dark Side Of The Moon". I, personally, have seen them, and the syncs are quite uncanny. If Pink Floyd did not plan it, I have absolutley no idea how it came to be that way. Others have also linked the lyrics to Judy Garlan's life, proposing that DSOTM is a tribute to Judy Garlan. I have checked this out, and it seems likely, also. If it is, in fact, a tribute to Judy Garlan and meant to be synced up to "The Wizard of Oz", then I believe that Roger Waters is the most musically/lyrically talented geniuses to ever live. Because if it was meant to be a tribute, and meant to be synced, it would turn "The Wizard of Oz" itself into a tribute to Judy Garlan. Just one word for the lyrics: Brilliant.

Contrary to my comment about Dark Side being a bit overrated, I still loved the album. I don't really enjoy the song "On The Run", because I don't really enjoy instrumental songs. The only reason I believe it is overrated is because it is considered Pink Floyd's greatest work. I, personally, believe that The Wall is Pink Floyd's greatest work. But I suppose that's all opinion. If lost, I'd buy it again for sure. I bought it in the first place because it was said to be brilliant. At first, I didn't agree. But after seeing the sync and considering for myself if it was a tribute to Judy Garlan, I have a new point of view on this album.

INTHEFLESH1551
    Does anybody else get chills when they hear "Great Gig in the Sky"? It's one of the most beautiful pieces of music that I have ever heard. That woman doesn't need to say a word to get her point across. It's so powerful and I'm more amazed by it's true meaning each time I hear it.
    Pine Lake
    Possibly... sratch that... this is best BEST album of all time! Ok, a lot of ground has been covered here, so I don't need to say much other than to all of you who hear it for the first time, you'll probably need to listen to the songs about 4 times before you like it... then you'll be hooked! And also, Einzigerfan03 was talking about Roger Waters singing on this album... let me be clear, he did not sing a word on Dark side of The Moon... All those wonderfully haunting vocals were from Dave Gilmour and Rick Wright's harmonies. Just a fun note, all the chatter at the end of Money were answers to some cards Roger made up. On one side of the card was a question and on the other side was "Were you in the right?" Denny Laine (Paul McCartney's guitarist in Wings) had a card that said "When was the last time you were in a fight?" And he said it was an argumernt with his wife. In response to "Where you in the right?" He cashed the line "I dunno, I was really drunk at the time."
    7thriff
    8butler9 wrote:
    pink Floyd Greatest Band that will ever walk The Earth..
    . Not quite. Definitly top five, but not the best. Anyway floyds best stuff is actually on the wall (comfortably numb) and Wish you were here (wish you were here) albums. Apart from those two songs the best of the rest is on DSOTM (best album of all time!).
    8butler9
    How Fast DOes this album go tho/ u can listen to it and then like TIME FLIES. i love listening to great Indie BAnds like The Arctic Monkeys and Strokes who are Great, but not a patch on Pink FLoyd/ then just whaming on DSOTM or WYWH, its amazing. the differnce. I LOVE GILMOURS VOICE. pink Floyd Greatest Band that will ever walk The Earth..
    chrisx3
    I have all the Pink Floyd cd's,Records,8 Tracks and Cassettes i think they are the best REAL band out there they are just amazing
    strong_wizard
    Haha. If you think awsome guitar solo'ing from more modern stuff, then this will blow your mind Time, Money, Us and Them are my favs.
    trepkos
    I dont know why people dont like 'any colour you like' very much, in my opinion it is one the best songs on the album. 'Time' and 'Money' are brilliant, great solos, Great songs. Dark Side Of the Moon is the magnum opus of Pink Floyd and is a musicial masterpiece, so unlike the music and albums of today.
    CalvinJr
    im thinkin about gettin this album and i was wonderin if theres an awesome guitar solo in each song
    fluffylump2
    AMAZING ALBUM!!! Us and Them, Speak to Me/Breathe, Money, the Great Gig in the Sky... phenomenal.
    JLM
    turnfoot wrote: i haven't heard any of pink floyd's songs. i wasn't even born yet when this album came out!!! people say this is their best work EVER! is it really that good?
    Yeah, it actually is. The greatest thing about Pink Floyd is the fact that the lyrics are mixed such harmoniously with the music, and those lyrics talk about intense and controversy subjects. Their music is as good as the lyrics. 10/10, no doubt. One of the greatest bands of all time.
    Pork Tornado
    My Second favorite, after WYWH, but its really close. If I ever met somebody who didn't like this album, I would wave my private parts at them.
    Matthamue
    Maybe the greatest album of all time. Pink Floyd had there own kind of music. The music could make ones soul relaxed and stirred at the same time. All in all this was one of there greatest peices, instermentally and lyriclly. I give it a 10/10!!!
    turnfoot
    lladan
    listen and let this masterpiece surround you