Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 6, 2001
Pink Floyd: Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd is hard to describe. It has been described as a rock orchestra, I think that holds very true. It's psychedelic rock for sure, designed merely for the purpose of chilling out by yourself. Don't look for any party tracks here, unless you invite a couple of your stoner friends over. Pink Floyd has a sound that, if you like it, never gets old. You can find all of Pink Floyds best stuff here. There is stuff from their earliest days, where they sound remarkably like the Beatles, i.e. "See Emily Play," to their last tracks to be put out. Who can forget "Money," or the aurally pleasing "Hey You." Each song is its own, with its own story. This album shows off the best of Pink Floyd.

Many of the songs lyrics sound like gibberish, in a good way, if that's possible. However there are some very loaded songs filled with personal meaning, like "When The Tigers Broke Free," and "Us And Them." Some songs I think are meant to be an inside joke, that no one else is supposed to get, like "Arnold Lane." Then there are the songs that make no sense at all but are so beautifully written that you are compelled to listen, like "Astronomy Domine." "Marooned" has no lyrics at all, but makes up for it with deep instrumentals. There is the occasional song that is fairly boring, but you have to look past them, and at the lyrical brilliance of songs like "Time."

Disc 1: 01. Astronomy Domine - no easily recognizable reason to this song, but well put together none the less, with realy trippy music and even trippier lyrics. 02. See Emily Play - very much like the Beatles. Not the most amazing song. 03. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives - merely a prelude to the next song. 04. Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 - this was a big one, maybe one of their most recognizable hits. "We don't need no education." 05. Echoes - a beautiful song, vocally, lyrically, and instrumentally. 06. Hey You - another song from "The Wall." This is one of my favorites with excellent bass playing. 07. Marooned - not much substance to this song, all instrument, albeit fairly good instrument. 08. The Great Gig In The Sky - one of the best vocal songs, even if there are very few real words. Off of the album "Dark Side Of The Moon." 09. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - this song sounds very interesting, ghostly vocals and background music. 10. Money - fun, while at the same time conveying a deeper message. Great beat throughout the song, may just have you tapping your feet. 11. Keep Talking - this sounds like a very personal song, interesting to listen to, but not the best. 12. Sheep - deeper message in this song, but if you overlook it is a very fun song with the vocals blending with music seamlessly. 13. Sorrow - long and boring in my opinion. Disc 2: 01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - very long song, 17 minutes and 32 seconds. It takes a long time to get into the actual meat of this song but once you do it's pretty decent. Made specifically one of the founding members of Pink Floyd. 02. Time - one of the coolest songs with some of the best lyrics out there. 03. The Fletcher Memorial Home - isn't a great song, but has a deep meaning, with lyrics that are very full of imagery. 04. Comfortably Numb - one of the best solos of any Floyd song. This song is on the topic of drugs, and you feel like you are high when you listen to it. 05. When The Tigers Broke Free - very personal, chronicling the memories of the death of the writers father. 06. One Of These Days - "One of these days I'll cut you up into little pieces" are the only lyrics in this 5 minute song. Cool sounding music, but not the best. 07. Us And Them - another personal, death of father song. 08. Learning To Fly - sounds very poppy and synthetic. 09. Arnold Lane - another early song, difficult to understand, and lacking the grace of other songs. 10. Wish You Were Here - an amazing song, lyrically and instrumentally. 11. Jugband Blues - very strange, again, lacking the finesse of other songs, but does have its quaintness to it. 12. High Hope - another boring song to me. 13. Bike - a love song, I think. Another song that makes you feel high. If you like Pink Floyd, and don't own all their stuff already, then you should definitely pick this up. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy it again. I love the fact that it has songs from every Pink Floyd era and their best stuff. The cover is a work of art, and included is a booklet with original art work, and lyrics to all the songs, this is also a great collector's item. I was very happy when I bought this, and hope it makes you happy too.