Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall: Live 1980-1981 Review

Pink Floyd: Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall: Live 1980-1981
Release Date: Apr 18, 2000
Label: Columbia
Genres: Album Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Disco, Hard Rock
Essential for Floyd fanatics as well as those wishing to hear just how terrific a live concert can sound.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.5
 7.9
 9.1
Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall: Live 1980-1981 Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 16, 2007

Sound: Pink Floyd I'm sure produces great live gigs especially after listening to the wall live. You can hear everything that is happening in each of the songs when you listen to the CD because the studio dudes did a good job remastering the sound quality and eliminating background noise. Nothing really to say about the sound of the music itself except that it sounds just like the original The Wall in just about any way imaginable. // 10

Lyrics: Pink Floyd always has written astounding lyrics that always just kind of make you just wonder, ya know? They are words that can change your mood and perhaps your life if you indulge into them too much. The Wall parts I think have the best lyrics along with Comfortably Numb which is always just sort of eerie then goes into a joyful refrain. Roger Waters seems not to lose any concentration at all when performing live because his vocals sound just like the original alb. I really liked the live version of Goodbye Blue Sky. // 10

Overall Impression: This may make me look like a total asshole but I think I would probably take this album double over the original The Wall. Now doesn't that just sound kooky? It's kind of like Rush though because a lot of their stuff is more popular live so I'll compair them again. This is obviously an essential album for any Floyd fan to complete their colletion, but even if you aren't interestd in such things, you may want to pick it up just for the heck of it! // 10

Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall: Live 1980-1981 Reviewed by: someone_not_you, on july 20, 2007

Sound: Hey! I was planning to review this first! It does not matter. I'm committing the crime of starting this review while hearing earlier live album Pulse, so (a long pause while changing to the right CD) "Is There Anybody Out There?" is an attempt to catch the amazing (theater wise) gigs that the Floyd (Rick Wright being just a session musician here) gave at the earlier eighties at Earl's Court, London. Yeah, the muppets, the teacher, the actual wall deserved a video, unfortunately, for us fans, we have this more-or-less waste of money, released by EMI in conmemoration of the 20th anniversary of the album's release. It was also released in a deluxe edition that I was seeking at some point of the past month, with a book, and blah blah, but thinking that I needed to spend my money in some more useful things made my head turn into the normal packaging. Whatever. Personally, with the exception of "Atom Heart Mother", "The Wall" was the weakest Floyd in the seventies, but that story belongs to the studio album. So, I'm talking about the "little, cute things" this release has. That should be enough to rise the rating, however there are some problems, first, bar "Mother" (but only slightly), "Comfortably Numb", "Goodbye Blue Sky" (again, only slightly, cos the organ at the end reminds me of "Cymbaline"), "Outside the Wall", and all of the above mentioned, it's just exactly The Wall, but with live audience. (OK, I forgot about poor "The Last Few Bricks", a jam played by the band while roadies were finishing The Wall, but it's not that interesting). Also, I loathe "Comfortably Numb": Roger's singing is poor, and David's solo seems just a bunch of 'em compiled from all the shows and thrown together randomly. I was expecting more of it, late live Floyd albums show better soloing and (even without Waters) singing. The rest is the same, done with an incredible "note-by-note" precision. // 7

Lyrics: Meh, the same concept, with the replacement of "Empty Spaces" by "What Shall We Do Now?", and an extra verse on "The Show Must Go On". Want more? I don't think we need to discuss the lyrics in a live album that repeats the same ones of the studio album. // 5

Overall Impression: In a short summary, if you're a very proud fan (poor me), or if you don't own the original album, and in your favourite record shop it's not available, get this. However, if you're just a casual fan, don't waste your money on this (and don't give the money to EMI/Columbia Records). Get "Animals". And if you already own that, purchase it and give it to a friend. Maybe it's not a bad idea after all. // 5

Comments