Live At Pompeii (Director's Cut) [DVD] review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii (Director's Cut) [DVD]

The Live At Pompeii is a live concert but there is no crowd: only the band and a recording group. The film starts with scenes of the old Pompeii. After, we see how the recording group is preparing for the concert the amphitheater. They bring in a huge amount of huge speakers, drum set, piano and so. The first song is Echoes part 1. Really cool song. Gilmore used a lot of effects including effects he made personally. For example the wah pedal which has inverted connection and a volume pedal after it, as he says in one of his interviews. You can find Echoes in Meddle and Echoes albums but most of all I like the Echoes from Live At Pompeii. The rhythm is changing during the song for several times it got a lot of solos and 2 verses. At about 8th minute the rhythm changes again and the camera starts showing their equipment. The last thing we can see in the Echoes part 1 are some mirrors. Than we see Nick Mason's face. He orders some sausages, chips and a tea (I don't think it's important but). The band is having a breakfast somewhere in the Abbey road (I'm not sure if they're having a breakfast and no for example lunch). Than we see how Roger plays on something with keyboard. He shows their equipment. We could not do what we do, as we do without our equipment, says Gilmore. After Roger plays On The Run (Dark side of the Moon) with a case with couple of knobs, buttons, keyboard and cables. After starts the Careful With That Axe Eugene. It's dark. They're playing at night in the center of the projector lights targeted on them. The first thing we see is a mosaic made skull. The lights are looking like stars. The rhythm is light. Roger is whispering something into the microphone and when the rhythm goes harder he starts crying. They've added some extra effect to the microphone because the voice is not like a natural humanlike voice. While waters is crying we see Lava running down to the see from mountain. Also we see the band exploring the Pompeii. Than we come back to the studio. This time they're in Paris. The operator wonders what they call their style of music. Rock N' Roll, answers Roger while David is laughing on the question and/or answer. Roger makes some smoke circles and after we see them in the Europasonor studio (so in Paris). At this time they are eating oysters (Yeah! Yeah! I know! ). Gilmore plays some notes on a guitar with an extra effect added to it. The Saucerfull of Secrets starts with full improvisation. Everybody plays for his own. Roger plays on cymbals than on Bong!! Gilmore is sliding his guitar sitting on the ground. Mason plays the same riff and Rick is playing some weird chords. Than the rhythm goes lighter and better. Rick plays on Rock organ and Gilmore plays with slide than Mason starts beating some notes. We see some scenes from Pompeii and so. Gilmore starts singing Beautiful song. After they just talk about something in the studio. Than we see Roger playing bass riff from Eclipse (Dark side of the Moon) alone. Than Wright plays on piano. After, we're back to Emi canteen. And after Wright plays Us And Them (Dark side of the Moon). After they talk again. The next song is One Of These Days I'm Going To Cut You Into Little Pieces. This is an instrumental slide guitar song. The only words are One Of These Days I'm Going To Cut You Into Little Pieces. When the song ends the guys are sitting somewhere, joking around, and drinking bear. Gilmore than play a riff from Echoes part 1. After starts the Mademoiselle Nobs. Gilmore plays on harmonica and Wright is playing with a dog. The dog is singing. After Gilmore plays a riff from Brain Damage (Dark side of the Moon) in studio. Next song is Set The Control For The Hearts Of The Sun. They play in fog at night with lights like in Axe Eugene. The sound fades away in the middle of the song but Wright is still playing and so And again back to studios The last song is Echoes part 2. At first they just play or make some mystic noise. The camera shows us the old Pompeii and a band again exploring it. This is one of the best songs. I mean whole Echoes This part has got 1 verse and beautiful outro/solo. Well that's it. The lyrics are very beautiful and impressive. There's no a single vocalist so the skills are good as always. The most beautiful lyrics are the lyrics from Echoes.

Content — 10
As I said it is a live concert but there is no crowd: only the band and a recording group. Also it got a lot of interviews with members. The songs are these Echoes Part 1, On The Run, Axe Eugene, Saucerfull of Secrets, Eclipse, Us and Them, One Of These Days, Mademoiselle Nobs, Brain Damage, Set The Controls, Echoes Part 2. Note that some songs are played in studios and are not played fully. Also DVD had a lot of futures. First one was a new Live at Pompeii. They just added some new scenes during the songs. Especially during Echoes part 1 and 2 as well. There is also a list of lyrics, their previous albums' covers and some other goodies.

Production Quality — 10
Production quality is good enough. The sound was 5 to 1 surrounding. The visual quality is good enough too. Though the recording is too old, once again, the quality is good. What about technology and tricks? They look like old of course (it was recorded in early '70th. Any way I like it.

The most impressive and famous songs are Echoes, The Saucerfull of Secrets, One Of These Days, Set The Control. I like it for it's music lyrics and because Gilmore is playing there. If it was stole (I hope it won't) I would buy it again. The only minus is that they play not a lot of songs.