Live At Pompeii (Director's Cut) [DVD] review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii (Director's Cut) [DVD]

Pink Floyd are masters at doing those long and odyssey-ish intros like on Shine On from WYWH. That is how this began. It was a little dull but the graphics behind it were entertaining to see role by. I liked the song list they put onto the show but I was not too fond of all of the added solos and stuff because there was already plenty of that in the original recording. I liked the studio footage though.

Content — 9
The first thing you come to when the machine starts running the disc is a language menu with eight different languages. That's pretty balsy if you ask me. Eight languages? I've never seen a DVD with that many different forms of dialect. Other than that I can't really remember anything else extra that was special. Seemed like an average movie to me as far as extra content goes. The film itself had plenty of material though.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality really couldn't have been better. I have pondered why people like this DVD so much and now I know why. The picture of old footage is so clear and sharp it seems quite modern. There are no scratchy fils or sound tracks which make the film easy to watch and listen to. That's all.

Despite all of my other god ratings, I really wasn't that impressed with this film for one reason: I got bored watching it. I was going to watch the whole thing on a plane flight from St. Louis to San Jose, got started, and fell asleep during an odyssey section. I woke up, went back to where I left off, watched for a while, and fell asleep again. Then I got fed up and finished it later. Other than the boring odyssey parts though the film was quite well done and I'll give it a seven in this category.

R8:31b
    There is a difference between the original movie and the directors cut, obviously. the original was edited by the band and had a more cinemagraphic (i know thats not a word but i think u know what i mean) flow too it, the directors cut was edited after the movie had been out for a number of years, this is why there is footage of the recording of Dark SIde Of The Moon on the DVD. This was done with out any input form the band so it takes away from the experience they wanted. i suggest buying both myself, im not sure of the DVD has both versions or not, if it does this should be 10 outta 10
    R8:31b
    sorry i just now learned how to read, this DVD DOES have both versions of the live concert, 10 outta 10