Meddle review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 11, 1971
Pink Floyd: Meddle

The sound of Meddle is very layered and lengthy. A very thick, textured, largely instrumental work that stands out as Pink Floyd's best album in between Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Dark Side of the Moon. Richard Wright's keyboards show a lot, setting the backdrop for some very impressive guitar/bass work by David Gilmour and Roger Waters. Meddle in general is a very pleasing album to put on as a mood piece. The music flows very nicely with the exception of San Tropez, which is a little off in terms of a complete album sound. I find it very good, as I'm a large Pink Floyd fan, but newcomers to the band won't be so thrilled with the lack of excitement.

I really enjoy the lyrics on Meddle. I will concentrate mostly on the track "Echoes", because, hell, on the original album it took up a whole side! "One Of These Days," the surging opener has no lyrics, spare in the middle if you listen closely you can hear drummer Nick Mason say through an amplifier, "One of these days I'm going to chop you into little pieces!" "A Pillow Of Winds" flows nicely, but the Carnaby Street-styled "San Tropez" is someplace in between "Arnold Layne" and Syd Barrett's "Gigolo Aunt," and hints at Waters' solo work like "The Pro's and Con's of Hitchiking". Finally, Echoes! Since there are hardly any lyrics in the song, it's hard to judge. Yet, the airy delivery by Gilmour and Wright give the song such a serene feeling. "Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air," starts the song (after 2 minutes or so of instrumental music) you can almost see the bird flying slowly across the sky.

If this album were taken from me I'd grab it back, cause it's just that great. I love the musical delievery and the way the lyrics flow so well. Definitely a great buy.