Meddle review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 11, 1971
Pink Floyd: Meddle

Pink Floyd, the '60s rock band, delivered this amazing album in 1971. The album, Meddle, which shows the bands diversity was recored at EMI Studios, Abbey Road and Morgan Studios in London. The album deserves its name, as it shows a meddle of different styled songs made by this band. The sound on this album is top-notch. Gilmour, Waters, and Wright all take part in the vocal aspect of this album. Gilmours guitar work is, as usual, without equal, and Mason used Meddle to prove that he was one of the best drummers around. Although Water and Wright seem to take backseat on this album (as far as intrumental) their creative work on songs like "One Of These Days" and "Echoes" cannot go without recognition. The diversity of this album is clearly seen from the changes in songs track to track. Starting with the creepy and eerie tune of "One Of These Days" and then shifting to a soothing, melodic ambience of "A Pillow Of Winds." Even incorporating a tropical-style theme by "San Tropez" and then shifting back to a straight blues song by "Seamus." And of course, no Floyd fan can ignore the powerhouse song that is "Echoes," which some claim to be one of the most favoured Floyd songs of all time.

The lyrics flow perfectly on this album. Waters' skill as a songwriter are areguably some of the best ever in the music business, and was definitly the best for its generation ('70s). The lyrics fit perfectly with the music they are playing, and I dont think they could have done a better job in that sense. Gilmour, Waters, and Wright are the vocalists on this album. Gilmour and Waters handle most of the album, and they do a spectacular job. Wright collaborated his voice with Gilmour on the track "Echoes" and it fit perfectly to the tune.

Meddle is by far the most underrated album by the Floyd. Musically diverse, strong, and exciting, but still having the smooth, melodic, relaxing feel that we all associate with Pink Floyd. This album takes a little geting used to, unlike The Wall you can just pop in and listen to at a party, this album is more of a solo listen. When I first listened to it, "One Of These Days" turned me off instantly, but since I was in Korea at the time, my music choices (especially of the english persuasion) were limited. After a few times listening to it, it began to grow and grow on me. Now I have nothing but good to say about it. You must approach this album with an open mind in order to understand the full effect and see how much work the Floyd but into this album. I love so much about this album, especially the lyrics and drumming. One thing, the only thing, I hate about this album is the 17-18 minute long break between verses in "Echoes." The music becomes to haunted house style for me. Some say it is used as a crescendo to build up to the last verse, personally I would have taken it out. Overall, if I lost it or someone stole it I would be at the record store in 2.2 seconds buying another copy. I highly recommend getting it.