Obscured By Clouds review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jun 3, 1972
Pink Floyd: Obscured By Clouds

This is another 'soundtrack' album for Barbet Schroeder. Released in 1972, it has some Dark Side of the Moon characteristics. The songs "Burning Bridges" and "Childhoods End" are very similar to "Breathe" and "Time," which are found on 1973's Dark Side Of The Moon. Overall the music is very well arranged and is great to just listen to and relax.

01. Obscured By Clouds - no lyrics but a wonderful instrumental to open an album. 02. When You're In - the second instrumental on the album. Sounds very 'native american'. Cool instrumental. 03. Burning Bridges - Psychedelic lyrics and a wonderful tune to just sit back and listen to. 04. The Gold Its In The - a very rocky sounding song with a great guitar solo. The lyrics dont really last that long but are cool overall. 05. Wots Uh The Deal - a slow mellow ballad. One of their best songs ever in my opinion. Very beautiful lyrical job by David Gilmour. 06. Mudmen - the instrumental to "Burning Bridges." A mellow song just like Buring Bridges is. It is very relaxing, every time I listen to it I fall asleep. 07. Childhoods End - a cool song lyrically and musically. Takes a while to get going but its worth the wait. One of David Gilmour's finest. 08. Free Four - a very bouncy tune with the saddest lyrics I've ever seen. It's amazing how Roger Waters makes sad lyrics sound happy and fun. A wonderful tune. 09. Stay - a Rick Wright love song. Would make a perfect closer to this album if "Absolutely Curtains" were not on it. 10. Absolutely Curtains - has an interesting intro but fades into a 'chanting' lyric. Cool title, not a great song.

My second favorite Pink Floyd album next to Atom Heart Mother. A very worthwhile listen. If it were stolen from me, I would definetly go buy another quickly. I love all of the guitar solos by Dave Gilmour and Nick Mason's drumming on the whole of the album. A great album to get if you are into Pink Floyd. Most impressive songs are "Burning Bridges," "Wots Uh The Deal" and "Mudmen" but every song is great.

Jibbs
    It's not shit, but I think calling it a 10 is not only an exaggeration, but doesn't leave much room for Pink Floyd's brilliant 4-5 albums. But 75-80% of the album is great.