P.U.L.S.E. review by Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd: P.U.L.S.E.

If anything, Pink Floyd, itself, as a total magnum opus of rock music, with their heavily-processed guitars, sound effects, and lyrical style. PULSE heavily emphasizes David Gilmour's guitar solos, making Comfortably Numb, a usual 6 minutes, 25 seconds, a whopping 9 minutes 32, thanks to an extended guitar solo. The (interesting) cover of the double-disc set is a dilated pupil, surrounded by an iris, and orbited by the moon, with various photographic and painted imagery around it. The cover itself was designed by Storm Thorgeson, a long-time painter for The Floyd, with a distinctive style himself, and has also worked with some computer effects, on albums such as Wish You Were Here, Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, and the photography on the Piper at the Gates Of Dawn. Their use of sound effects to blend each song into the next is quite effective, and one last thing: look out for Learning To Fly. Personally, I liked the album version better, with the guitar intro.

Although Roger Water's lyrical style is quite a distinctive sound, David Gilmour and Richard Wrights vocal cords can't exactly pull off that Waters sound. David sings rather low, and Wright has a tendancy towards The Beatles sound. However, I enjoyed the music, and some songs were better than others, so I've relingquished a bit.

As for overall impression, PULSE is a pathetic attempt at a 'Best Of' album. I'm sorry, but there's always Echoes. I also think that among all the fancy packaging, there is a message. A message that says "We want Roger back, we're trying to get back into the scene" thing. As for me, I'm off to listen to DSOTM again.

pinkfloyder1000
    fender, PULSE is not supposed to be a greatest hits show, no live show is. This show was made to endorse the Division Bell and give a bunch of old favourites, of not only the listeners, but of the band itself. Another thing, your Waters comment, they aren't putting on a show to get Roger back, the Division Bell album is about Roger, and the hard times he put the rest of them through. Don't get me wrong though, Roger Waters is my favourite member of the band. I don't know who you think you are to give it a 6 on impression, maybe you should put on a show yourself and see how great it turns out.
    someone_not_you
    A correction, the DVD was actually released on July 11, 2006. I actually saw an atractive laserdisc release from a collector who was selling it, but guess it was way too much expensive...
    someone_not_you
    PS:
    No way. Even if PULSE was a performance of old and new stuff, and even if in a certain way is for hardcore fans, it's not a flaccid compilation like 'Echoes' (and many others) is. I enjoy a thousand times more the live and sometimes exciting ambient of it than the incomplete compilation... Also, you may want to reconsider you rating particularly for the powerful performance of "Astronomy Domine" or the solo on "Comfortably Numb", or many other "little" details...