The Final Cut review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Apr 2, 1983
Pink Floyd: The Final Cut

This Album Features a lot of piano work which is odd because the bands piano/keyboard player isn't on the album. Roger Waters is on vocals for every song except for parts of Not Now John. Normally this would be an issue, but in this album for some reason or another, Roger's vocal presentation is at its best. I think it would have been difficult for Gilmour to have the same passion with these songs due to the fact that they were very personal to Roger. The album also features David's dead on guitar delivery and mystisism, however it is much more scarce then in other Floyd work. the music sounds very crisp. the vocal delivery is outstanding.

Lyrics are as meaningful as they are impactful. When the Tigers Broke Free is probobly one of the most emotional songs written by Waters. the Music fits quite well with the lyrics. As I said before Roger's vocal dilevery was dead on. At some points however it becomes apparent that Roger had written the lyrics before the actual music, which is common practice but somtimes it tends to drag slightly. Despite it's mild short-comings in the fuctionallity department, it doesn't take anything away for me.

The Final Cut is not really a Pink Floyd album as much as it is a Roger Waters solo effort featuring Gilmour and Mason. The lyrical flow is perfect in every way in my opinion, and I know that this is an unpopular view (most call album too "wordy"). I love every song on the album equally. if I had to pick a tip three, I would choose: Two Suns in the Sunset, The Fletcher Memorial Home, and The Gunner's Dream. but even with choosing those I would not be satisfied. if I lost this album I would be crushed. I would race to the nearest record store and buy it on any format they had available.

pinkfloydfish
    Gunner's Dream is amazing! It's so emotional, along with pretty much all of the songs on the album.
    SJC65456
    gunners dream is, for now, my favorite pink floyd song. greate sax solo!!!
    Gerard Way Jr
    I'm surprised so many people enjoy this record as much as I do. I was expecting hardcore PF fans to be like "THIS ALBUM SUCKS." Alas, I see no such thing. Cool stuff. My review will be up shortly.