The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jul 31, 1967
Pink Floyd: The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Being that this is the Pink Floyd's first studio album, it has many different and unique sounds from the '60s contained on it. Many songs such as "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Overdrive" have a sort of 'stargazing guitars' and 'cosmic keyboards' sound which make them songs different from your typical '60s singer/songwriter ballads. Very psychedelic songs such as "Scarecrow," "Matilda Mother" and "Lucifer Sam" have that sort of fairy-tale mentality on the lyrics. These sounds contained on this album are very futuristic for their time when they were just released. Some of the songs on here I think should have been on "A Saucerful Of Secrets" like "Chapter 24" (I think it would make a good couple with "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"). Overall the music on this album is really ahead of its time for '60s music. I give it a 10 just for the fact of it being futuristic for its time.

01. Astronomy Domine - the vocals on this song seem to me as like sort of a Syd Barrett LSD trip with the mention of all the 'colors' he mentions. Wonderful vocals though and a good job singing them too. 02. Lucifer Sam - these lyrics are very whimsy but cool. The lyrics are very different because of the 'cat' story that this song basically is. A classic Floyd song and one of Syd's finest songs ever. 03. Matilda Mother - the lyrics to this song make me picture in my head. Syd when he was a child sitting on his mothers lap while she reads him his favorite bedtime fairy-tale. I like the lyrics though. 04. Flaming - this is basically a twin of "Astronomy Domine" because it tells of a kind of LSD trip. This is one of my favorite songs on this album though. 05. Pow R. Toc H. - the lyrics give me a headache when I have my CD player turned up loud because of the screeching Roger Waters scream he gives. Syd does a good job on the 'Kaboom Pa Chi Chi' in the beginning. Can you really call these lyrics though? Pretty cool. 06. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk - I like the rhyming on this track. This was one of the tracks that I disliked when I first got the cd but it eventually grew on me and I like it just fine now. Great song. 07. Interstellar Overdrive - no lyrics in this instrumental freak out. 08. The Gnome - these lyrics are like a little story made into a song. I like it because it reminds me of "Wined And Dined" from Syd's solo career. I like this song for the lyrics Syd gave. Great Psychedelic listen if your in the mood. 09. Chapter 24 - these lyrics remind me of "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" because it is one of those space/time songs and they were both taken from a Chinese book. Great lyrics anyways. 10. Scarecrow - the lyrics are short but very powerful in my opinion. It is another one of those non-human ballads. I think it is trying to say 'this is a person who's fate is decided already and he just has to live with it but he cannot change it, so he dosent mind'. 11. Bike - I think this is one of the oddest songs on here but I love it! I love the chorus: 'Your the kind of girl that fits in with my world, I'll give you anything, everything if you want things'. Awesome song and a definite 'standout track'. 10 out of 10 for all the lyrics.

One of my favorite Pink Floyd albums and a classic in the history of psychedelic rock if not the best album ever in the history of psychedelic rock. A perfect 10 out of 10. A must have if your a Pink Floyd fan.