The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Jul 31, 1967
Pink Floyd: The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

It's hard to think of any other album that has consistently sounds so bizarre and fresh over all these years other than PATGOD. It showcases the true psychedalia of that era, particularly the summer of love. It was like taking the general sound of that time and completely changing it around. Here's a more dissected look at the album: 01. Astronomy Domine - a spacey song that hints at the change Pink Floyd would make later in their career. The distorted ramblings at the beginning set the mood perfectly for a paranoid acid drenched freak out record. 02. Lucifer Sam - sounds like a action theme song like James Bond. Although this pop song is very catch, it is probably one of the more none creative songs on the album. 03. Matilda Mother - starts out sounding like a medevil song but changes near the end to a more organ based '60s song. I especially like the eastern based organ solo near the end. 04. Flaming - ahhh, the hippy dippy anthem. A very fun song that has brillant lyrics but is somewhat lacking musically. 05. Pow R. Toc H. - a simply wonderful song. It has received some harsh critism, but I truely love it. This song starts out with the band making funny animal noises, but gets quite serious afterwards with a haunting piano. Reminds me of a rainy day in Vancouver. 06. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk - being Rogers only song on PATGOD, it's not bad. He defiantly wasn't as good of a song writer as Syd at the time, but still made a decent song. The long jam in the middle is great. 07. Interstellar Overdrive - this is it! The opus, the jem, the song everyone was waiting for. Simply put, it's out of this world! It really portrays Syd's insane guitar work, which divided him from the others. The ending is truely psychedelic with the swirling effect on the opening riff. 08. The Gnome - extremely fun song that actually has some totally far out lyrics. The song changes a lot near the chorus, going from happy to dark lyrics. Fun to sing along with. 09. Chapter 24 - an odd song (considering this album is nuts) that is based on chinese philosphy. It gets a tad boring in some parts, but still pretty good. 10. The Scarecrow - being one of the simplest songs on this CD, it's actually quite good. The lyrics seem to be simple, but they are actually pretty hard to understand. 11. Bike - wow! This song is really something special! The lyrics are pure maddness. Leave it up to Syd to put completly crazy lyrics into a relatively simple chord progression. My favourite song on the album, love to sing along with it.

Syd Barretts madness mixed with acid makes completly for brillant lyrics. I honestly have no idea how he thinks of some of this stuff, I sure as hell couldn't. His quirky english singing fits perfectly with his lyrics, and is especially good on his more storytale like songs. Syd's ability to make anything seem pyschedelic astounds me. In my opinion, he is the best lyricist of all time. It's too bad he only got to make one full album with Floyd.

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn fits in perfectly with the era it came from. It's such a lovable album, it totally changed my perceptions on music (it's great if you're a guitar player). There's something special about this record, everytime I hear it I get into a certain mood. Even though I have totally overplayed it (if that's even possible) it still sound fresh and I love listening to it. If this album was ever lost or stolen, I would probably have a hissy fit, then right away go buy a new one!

Quark113
    You don't have to do drugs to like it...This is my favorite CD hands down, by The Floyd or by anyone else (although Queen II comes very, very close), and I've never done drugs in my life.
    The*Reaper
    What do you mean by drugs weed or the real shit, acid. SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND
    Mojo89
    I love it. But if you've never done drugs, i dont think you would.