The Wall review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 30, 1979
Pink Floyd: The Wall

The Wall. Where do I start with this one? Well, for me, I was suprised at how dark the album was! I only heard Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here before and was expecting something along the same lines. Most of the album has a very dark feel to it, but there are some points of cheerfulness and even some humor. This is a "concept" album, which is a story that has one central theme. I won't give the story away, but I will mention that the theme of it is about a wall. The style of Pink Floyd is progressive rock, and they use it to full potential here. The album flows as if it were one song (although a few songs seem out of place) and the instrumentation here if lovely. Mason's drum work is well done, and the same goes with Wright's keyboard work. Some of the stuff he plays on here is just haunting, such as In The Flesh or Don't Leave me Now. Waters fills the low end nicely with the bass, nothing flashy though. Gilmour's guitar work on this album takes the spotlight. He plays some pretty haunting riffs (Hey you, In the flesh), some lovely acoustic work (Mother, Is anybody out there?), and of course, his guitar solos. He puts so much emotion into his guitar solos and doesn't need fast flashy licks to make them enjoyable. Some solo highlights include Mother, Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) and of course comfortably numb. To basically summarize the sound of the album in one word, epic.

Roger Waters penned the whole album (the album was his idea), so the lyrics are simply genius. The lyrics simply flow naturally here and nothing seems out of place. Since it's one big story, all the lyrics are tied together. David and Roger take turns singing, and they both do a superb job.

Although most say Dark Side Of The Moon is Floyd's best work, I think that The Wall simply blew it away. For me, the best songs were Hey You, In The Flesh, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb, Mother, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 and Is Anybody Out There. I love the story behind this album because we can all relate to it in some shape or form. My only complaint about the album is some songs seem a bit out of place (such as Hey You), but it doesn't take away too much from this album. If this album were stolen or lost, I would get another copy without any thought at all, and it is worth buying, no matter how much the price. You should buy this, or else you'll miss out on a truely fantastic disc.