The Wall review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 30, 1979
Pink Floyd: The Wall

It may seem a bit nostalgic, not to mention 20-years-late, of me to post a review for Pink Floyd's gold-laden masterpiece, but I think that, this one time, I can plead "I wasn't alive" and get away with it. Indeed, back in the day, as my father would say, "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" and "Another Brick In The Wall Part II" got just as much radio play as "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" does today, that is, far too much. It's hits like this, however, that shaped our culture, and at least the former duo got airtime for actually being good, so, in short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that The Wall is a good record. Like...something...that is good. With David Gilmour. This all being said, let's get cracking. If you were either waiting on your own parents to meet and conceive you, much like myself, or put yourself into a coma in the mid-seventies and early-eighties (and, if you did, I'll assume you're terminally STUPID), and don't know what The Wall is, it is a concept album, a rock opera, which pulls off the sub-genre so perfectly, it's like Roger Waters and the gang were smoking magic when they wrote it. You'll hear many older rock fans say that this record was not as revolutionary as Pink Floyd's earlier hit, Dark Side of the Moon. If anyone ever tells you this, you have my permission to shove DSOTM up their butt and tell them otherwise--after all, the two records are so different, it's hard to really compare. Whereas Dark Side had so much blatant sound and awesome sax solos, etc etc, The Wall is a more modern, down-to-earth, organized rock sound. Less weird, more...bloody awesome. Anyway, it's just as good, if not better, and the whole concept album is so epic and emotional that I had a hard time not crying when I went and saw the film. Yes, FILM. A great film, too. So, the sound of The Wall. Yes, it ranges from bluesy to hard, tear-filled solos by Gilmour, and very nice vocals (by which I mean perfectly average, but that comes later) from Waters that go so well with the character that I'll have to mention it later. Twice. The record has lots of piano, orchestra, and a lot less sound clippage than Dark Side, though there is quite a bit of television on both discs. Oh, did I mention this is a two-disc adventure? In fact, it's a 9/10 star two disc adventure with beautiful sound and overall feel that will leave you more emotionally aware than that creepy emo girl down the block listening to Green Day.

Well, the lyrics are your expected Pink Floyd angelic beauty - by which I mean they're okay, but, really, the only really good part about Floyd lyrics are the outright honesty and difference from your usual verse one, chorus, verse two, chorus, bridge, milk the chorus until the listener dies of boredom-type affair. However, they work wonders with the musical style, so I let that slide. Roger Waters has never been a great vocalist - I know it, you know it, he knows it, even his mum knows it, but it IS bearable and goes along with the music and lyrics hand-in-hand, so really, it deserves no less than 8 stars, but I'm giving it 7, because I don't want this to be a glowing review that leads you all to believe that I'm biased just because this record in particular did wonders during a difficult time in my life, and spawned a successful career in acting.

My overall impression of this record? Some of the best hours of my life. From "In The Flesh?" to "Outside the Wall", Pink Floyd delivers us a great record with a great story, and great music. I really don't have much else to say--I hate giving glowing reviews, but The Wall is JUST THAT GOOD. So much so that it makes me want to go back to various other reviews and make them harsher so that this is seen as that much better, because this, kiddies, is called MUSIC. I have a strong belief that ALL of the good stuff came before the 80's, and then Nirvana came. And rock was murdered. I don't blame Nirvana for that, I blame the hundred and four artists who are successful today for copying him and releasing nothing else. The 30's all the way through to the 80's were great because the music industry was innovative, and it's not anymore. This is much like Michael Jackson's Thriller, in that you need to buy it now if you haven't already. The best songs are all the songs on disc one, and most on disc two--the only ones that really shine above the rest (which shine hard and long, by the way, and no, I do not mean shine on you crazy diamond or any other reference to other stuff...which I just made. Shoot.) are disc one's "Another Brick In The Wall Part 1," all the way through until "Another Brick In the Wall Part 2," "Don't Leave Me Now," "Hey You," and "Comfortably Numb," the best of these is that last one.