The Wall review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 30, 1979
Pink Floyd: The Wall

I'll start off by saying that Pink Floyd is my favourite band and that The Wall is, in my opinion, the greatest music album ever produced. I'm going to rate every aspect of this album a 10. I'm always bothered to see when an album or a guitar gets a 10, a 9 or even an 8 because I think people should be more critical. But with The Wall I'm glad to make an acception; it deserves it's 100% score. While I could write about 17 books to describe the utterly astonishing greatness of this CD, I'm instead going to convince you why it is so superb to other albums.

The Wall's sound cannot be described in one word, nor in three. Only in two words: Pink Floyd. These four gentlemen are able to produce a sound that is so characteristic and yet feels familiar. The switching of singers really interests the listener. Pink Floyd has an overall calm sound with some exciting twists and turns here and there. Especially the delay-licks on Another Brick In The Wall Part 1, 2 and 3 and Run Like Hell are very interesting to listen to.

The lyrics are probably the aspect which catapultized this album into this superbus phenomenon. As you probably know, the album describes a story of a man named Pink. Pink lost his father in WWII (Another Brick In The Wall Part 1) and has an overprotective mother (Mother). His teachers are "evil" (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2) and voices in his head tell him to built an anti-emtion wall around himself. He builds this wall and completely isolates himself from the world (Hey You). When finally he releases one of his emotions he's put to trial for this unforgivable crime (The Trial) and finally tears down the wall and lives outside it.

Does this album compare to other albums (artists)? No. I cannot think of any artist who can even be compared to such geniuses.

What are the most impressive songs of this album? Ehh... I'd start with Comfortably Numb, Hey You, Goodbye Blue Sky, Run Like Hell, but I think I'd end up summing up all the songs because I feel like the album is infact one very long and complicated song. For example, I never listen to one of the songs on its own. It just doesn't feel right. It's like only eating pepper.

If it were stolen, I'd definetely buy it again. I listen to it at least once a week so it's definetely worth the money. besides that, I think it's an album you should have in your collection.

Finally, I recommend you all, no matter what your musical taste is, to buy this album and I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. It's one of the finest pieces of art around. Don't be fooled by the fact that Dark Side Of The Moon has sold more copies, The Wall is definetely better. Dark Side of The Moon kicks ass, but doesn't compare to The Wall.

dansatadmad
    All you guitar players(air or real) out there need to listen to the end of dogs or pigs(3 different ones)off animals. They are better than comfortably numb etc. Floyds best albums(my personal taste) 1. ANIMALS- best album ever (listen to it twice, if it doesn't hook you then you are emotionally dead). 2. Dsotm- best chilling album ever. 3. Ummagumma- live(cd 1) is just an amazing and underated trip. 4. TIE WYWH, The wall- Both great rock albums.If you are new to the floyd start with these.
    SmittyMan90
    I cant believe this got a 9 i mean its such a great concept album, the best ever in my opinion. such a great story and a well produced album, 10/10!
    SmittyMan90
    Hard to believe this got a 9! i mean jeez its The Wall! Probably their best album but not necessarily my fav.
    Harry_66
    If you listen hard, at the very end of "Outside the Wall", he says "Isn't this where..." and at the very beginning of "In the Flesh?", he says "...we came in?"
    WOW!! heard it a million times... never noticed!!
    Awfulplayer
    With the exception of a small handful of tracks, I find this album to be quite boring. It could've been a much more accomplished record had the writing been more collaborative. Most of 'The Wall' comes off as complete self-indulgence by Waters.
    lithiumvocals
    I don't *get* Pink Floyd... I don't hate them, but I don't understand them. Does that make me unintelligent?