Wish You Were Here review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 9, 2011
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

The sound is very focused on keyboards and guitar, which is good- Floyd had a natural talent for making the sound not too electronic, and all the members have their own place in each song that fits with everything else. From the epic (someone else described it very well using that word) feel of Shine On You Crazy Diamond to the disturbing synthesizers of Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine to the acoustic goodness that is Wish You Were Here, every song has a distinct feel and feel like a mini-CD in and of themselves.

Roger Waters can say so much with a single line- ("You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon")- that it's insane. In Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is dedicated to the band's former frontman, whose name I sadly cannot remember at the moment, you can tell that the song flows from sympathy to sadness to a sweet bitterness (hooray for oxymorons!) that really makes the CD have a sad, pittying quality to it. Roger Waters' strained voice on Welcome to the Machine gives the song a very eerie, awesome feeling to it. He's not the best singer ever, but he does very well for what voice he has.

I own Dark Side Of The Moon- and compared to this, Dark Side Of The Moon is definitely equal. While WYWH focuses on only a few aspects of life- separation and sadness, conformity, and the confines of the music industry (which sounds like a whiny rant at record companies, but it's done in a very tasteful way, much like every Floyd song), DSOTM focuses on life itself and society and how society ultimately creates and destroys life. Strangely enough, it feels like comparing apples and oranges. Every song on WYWH is perfect and I wouldn't change anything about it. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely get it burnt for me again- er, buy it again. It's definitely worth buying- but I'd suggest getting DSOTM first and then WYWH.