Wish You Were Here review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Sep 12, 1975
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

This album has the widest coverage of the Pink Floyd Sound. From Shine On You Crazy Diamond (synthesized) to Wish You Were Here (acoustic). The album was made basically as a tribute to Syd Barrett mainly the song Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The last album until A Momentary Lapse of Reason to have equal input from the whole band and it shows in a good way.

The lyrics are meaningful. Shine On You Crazy Diamond talks about Syd's mental disease. Welcome to the Machine is about not breaking out and following the conveyer belt of life (depicted in The Wall movie) could be considered the first dab at The Wall. Have a Cigar is full of sarcastic lyrics (which one's Pink) and features an outsider singing. Wish You Were Here could also be about Syd or a loved one. This is the last album not dominated by Roger Waters vocals until he left the band.

This is the best Pink Floyd album. Possibly the best album of the '70s other than Boston and Led Zeppelin IV. The album is really 4 songs being that Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts VI-IX is really a filler. That's the only bad thing about the album otherwise flawless and classic Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here and Have a Cigar stand out as the best songs but Welcome to the Machine is right up there. If it were lost I would definitley buy it again. Here's an overview of the best album of '75. 01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts I-V - this song features several solos until the vocals enter. Starting with the more noise than music intro followed by a sax solo and a long guitar solo. 02. Welcome To The Machine - much like Crazy Diamond by having several synthesizers and effects. Contains the most obscure vocals ever by David Gilmour. 03. Have A Cigar - a light side to the two previous tracks and much shorter Have a Cigar is about the Pink Floyd story to a point. Some of Gilmour's best guitar work is featured here. 04. Wish You Were Here - one of the greatest Rock N' Roll songs ever and an acoustic no less. Listen for Gilmour's cough at about the 25 second mark. 05. Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts VI-IX - not much to be said about this song adds more solos and this time Roger Waters sings.

bassplayer496
    I don't get why everyone likes dark side of the moon the best.... I think this album is so much better, especially the three songs in the middle. This album never ceases to amaze me. ~Love, Dallas~
    notoriousnumber
    Christ I love this album, "shine on..." part1 near the end with the sax solo is freaking immense. Also in part 2 in the beginning with the slide solo... *drools*
    Fuzzbox91
    [quote]Sound: This was the first ever Floyd album I listened to, and has to be the album I'd take to a deserted album. LOL! if i were stuck on a deserted album id probably take piper at the gates of dawn or the wall. But this is still an amazing album but its not my favorite pink floyd.
    electric7
    MoshMaster101 wrote: justinp93 wrote: if this album were a girl, id ask her out. I'm afraid I'd already have married it. Bloody brilliant album, one of my all-time favourites, and thats saying something.
    Well, while you were at work, it'd **** 'er.
    Pittman
    This is a great album,but I would have to say either the wall or animals are my favorite.