Wish You Were Here review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 9, 2011
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

The sound on Wish You Were Here is far different from what the band had been doing up until then, you hear a lot of synth and keyboard action but it's different from what people were hearing on Dark Side and Meddle. The sound is very good, probably the best out of all the Floyd's albums. You go from hearing acoustic melodies like Wish and then straight into a synth-rock-guitar song like Have A Cigar, which also boasts a fantastic bass line by Waters.

The lyrics like most post/Syd albums have meaning and clarity to them. Waters writes about things happening currently yet he is also writing about the past and everything in between. It's a fairly light hearted album (besides Welcome to The Machine) and I find that it's the only Floyd album that I can just enjoy without trying to find out what Waters is saying. It's incredibly detailed and well written but it's also very well sung. From Gilmour's strong touch and his scat singing on Wish to Roy Harper's agressive stint on Have A Cigar it is, through and through, a perfect vocally arranged album.

Wish is the best Floyd album in my overall opinion because of it's beauty and it's dynamic. It's a strong rock album but it delves deeper than that and reaches something in all of us. Songs that really stick out in my mind are Shine On and Wish because of the lyrics and how one (Shine) talks about Syd's life before and after and the other (Wish) talks about dealing with life without Syd and it is really beautiful and extremely meaningful. If anything were to happen to my personal copy, of course I would buy another and anyone who doesn't yet have a copy, do your self a favor and buy this album, it won't change your life but it will give you some good times to be remembered.

sbauer187
    id hafta say that the acoustic licks at the beginnig of wish you were here is my favorite acoustic part of any song, whole album kicks ass!!, too hard to pick a fave
    #1floydfan
    This is my favorite floyd album. All of the songs are absolute masterpieces. My favorite song would be Have a Cigar. I also like the ending to the second Crazy Diamond with it's wierd funk blues bass and keyboards. One of the greatest and most influential bands ever.
    pinkfloydfish
    This was the first Floyd album I listened to, and after that I was absolutely obsessed. Nothing can compare with the musical and artistic perfection that Pink Floyd repeatedly showed in their work. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is my favorite song of all time!
    Nargenfargen
    Wish you were here would be my favourite song on this CD. It's also my favourite Floyd album.