Wish You Were Here review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 9, 2011
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

For an album that only has five songs, it sure makes up for it. This is one of my all time favorite albums. It is very instrumental, especially on Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Both parts. It strays a bit from the usual psychadelic Pink Floyd sound, but it remains a brillian classic rock album. The length of the songs also make up for there only being five. The shortest song is about 4 or 5 minutes long, so that should tell you a little something. Here's a little something you may not have known, or maybe you did. On the song Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd showed they're genius once again. To get a fuller sound, David Gilmour sat in the corner of the room to play guitar and sing while the mike was set up in the middle of the room. Just a little bit of not so common information.

The lyrics are all in tribute to Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett. Lines like "Shine on you crazy diamond" and "You're never gonna die", are all about showing how great Syd was. British folk musician Roy Harper (yes, the guy from the Zeppelin song) sang lead on the song Have a Cigar. Gilmour also shows his vocal skills on the album, shining brightest on Wish You Were Here.

This is one of the best Floyd albums. It only has five songs, but it's worth the $15.99 or whatever the heck stores are charging. The best songs are Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Part One), Welcome to the Machine, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Part Two). If you're counting, yes, that's all five. They truly display all of the members talents and passion. It is also the album that I usually listen to so I can fall asleep (that's a good thing). If it were lost, I wouldn't really want to pay that much for an album with 5 songs, but this album would be worth it. Maybe 2 copies. Maybe.

The*Reaper
    How does David Gilmour strum those chords in Wish You Were Here and Welcome To The Machine? I looked the tabs up and can't figure it out.