Wish You Were Here review by Pink Floyd

• Released: Nov 9, 2011
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

The sound of this album was quite a big leap from DSOTM, with a lot more synth, and less female vocals. It also displays the Floyd's biggest range of styles, from heartfelt acoustic of the title track, to the riffs of Have A Cigar, to the various solos of Shine On, to the rythmic synths of Welcome to the Machine, this is the perfect album for people new to the band. David Gilmours guitar work is second only to that in Animals, again showing the wide variety of skills at his disposal. It's no wonder the band view this as their best work.

Of all of Rogers lyrics, theese are probably the ones he feels strongest about, or did at the time. They display the bands distaste at the music buisness, and the fact that they miss their friend and former bandmate, Syd Barrett. They are simple and accessible, and convey the strong emotions the Waters was feeling. I can honestly say that no other album has consistantly made me think about the lyrics.

The reason I've given this album full points in every catagory, is because truly, I think it is the best work by the Floyd, and one of, if not the greatest albums ever written. No other group can match the originality and genius of the Floyd. I can't say which track is best/worst as they are all amazing. If pushed, my personal favourite would have to be Wish You Were Here. If you haven't purchased this album, then buy it now, if you do, treasure it and tell everyone you know about it. If lost, I would instantly buy again. In my eyes, the best album ever made.

cjimil419
    I have to say I love Shine On VI-IX, so to hear someone call it "filler," pisses me off. Its a great turn on the first part with the shuffle groove and great keyboard break in the middle.