Teenage Graffiti review by Pink Spiders

• Released: Aug 1, 2006
Pink Spiders: Teenage Graffiti

Being formed less than three years ago, it seems like The Pink Spiders knew what exactly they wanted and what they needed to do to get it. Caring images of Elvis Costello and Franz Ferdinand in hearts and art, Nashville threesome Matt Friction (vocals, guitar), Jon Decious (bass guitar) and Bob Ferrari (drums) started creating music that's got an attitude and impudence. But it was a long and windy road that took them to where they are now -- the legend says they've been in a fire accident with their trailer in Buffalo, slept in New York city subways and donated plasma to fund their demanding tour schedule. Their first full-length Hot Pink was out on an indie record. Right after the release, The Pink Spiders signed to Geffen and recorded major-label debut Teenage Graffiti. Having proposed the final release date as the end of June, The Pink Spiders dragged it out to August, which made the album even more anticipated among the fans. It was really worth the wait -- defining themselves as a whirlwind of hustle and clatter, threesome created an album full of blustering wild energy and rebellion. Teenage Graffiti is full of bright harmonies and foot-tapping beats. The guitars are simple, as they are supposed to be in punk, but there are some great hooks and interesting lines. It's a 100% guitar-driven music with beat rhythms to make it danceable. The guys picked the name for themselves quite accurate -- their music is sugary-sweet as pink and nasty-seductive as spiders. Teenage Graffiti kicks off as a stellar rock album -- with ferocious chords of hard-hitting Soft Smoke. That's the only track that reminds of Rolling Stones and Motley Crue. The album doesn't need to grow on you - if not the first one, the second track will get you hooked. A flavor of '60s appears everywhere on the album -- like Little Razorblade and very Beatles-ish Adalae. Songs got that joyful energy with a sharp feeling that is like a drug - once you've got the taste, it leaves you wanting more. Like explosively Modern Swingers -- just together with Little Razorblade it got more than half a million plays on the band's MySpace website. Teenage Graffiti is worth listening without skipping -- all tracks have potential to be a single and they all are infectious and catchy. It's one of those cases when all 13 songs are good with some really great ones among them. The nuggets are Modern Swingers, Pretend That This Is Fiction and Saturday Night Riot.

The poetry is quite simple, without any smart flourishes, but catchy and interesting. They fit the music wonderfully, being not too serious to think about and fun to listen to at the same time. I like that My baby's pretty as a car crash in Modern Swingers. Matt Friction's vocals are charming and haunting at the same time. His voice is soaring (which adds to the band's style), yet soft and gentle. The best example would be Pretend That This Is Fiction. Doo-wop back vocals sound funny and extravagant.

The band tries to match their name and music style in everything -- wearing pink clothes and Elvis Costello-like glasses. Probably the best thing about The Pink Spiders -- they've got style. The boys are playing rock stars with all attributes -- fast women, bravado, swing, crowd seduction and huge sexual energy. The record is perfectly produced -- it's radio-friendly and sticky like a bubble-gum with a healthy done of adrenaline to keep you interested through the entire album. Most importantly -- it leaves you hungry for more songs. The album's only weak point is probably it's title. Generating so interesting songs and bearing some great ideas in mind, The Pink Spiders could have thought of something more original and outstanding than Teenage Graffiti. The Pink Spiders' popularity is growing in a maniacal progression. They already got that Alternative Press' 100 Bands you need to know in 2006. My guess is they just need a little bit more promotion along with touring, and the guys will easily make it to the the best new act.

fender_man_tom
    awesome band i heard them first about like a year ago and some of thier songs were the same then but they're still classics guitar is awesome in this band
    injured234
    good new music is usually what is not big at the moment, it's usually a new sound, something no one has ever heard before, i heard about this band a week ago and i swear i've heard them at least a hundred other times on fuse and mtv2
    Mitsuo
    COPY hide of X-japan(Hideto matsumoto) the real Pink Spider ever "sweet as pink and nasty-seductive as spiders." not really...
    Reeshard
    I saw them on warped, and they reminded me a ton of the hives. Little Razorblade was the one song I was dissapointed with. If you dig The Hives, check these guys out.
    elmolikepie
    ok im staring at the pic above now and trying really hard not to assume that the music inside could possibly be as plastic and pointless as the people on the front. But its not working.
    S2S
    And that is absolutely the 100% WRONG reason to start a band/make music. They're a gimmick, just as someone said earlier. And I also like how the CD is titled "Teenage Graffiti" when I'd peg the drummer to be at least 32.
    YAYAN16
    So I found out about these guys like 10 minutes ago and then BAM! They're on UG already. Mild coincedence? I think not. I'm going to buy their album.
    Sveta
    I just get the feeling that the "guys" band wearing all pink clothes looks gay, but yea, interesting to hear them
    Mitsuo
    yeah that's right you copy d name of hide(Hideto Matsumoto F***ing not creative boys
    FakePlasticMan
    bTOMd
    i would agree with you on that if i havent heard more than little razorblade which is probably what you heard. the rest of the songs are alot more hard hitting than that one.
    Hi9
    oh geez... when you come to ug and see a formally local band featured... that's just a trip. honestly, though, I just can't get into this band. I was a huge fan of matt's former band, silent friction, played a couple of shows with them and such years ago, but then they broke up and he started this band, and just threw away all the originality for simple gimick. and I think he's, like, anorexic or somethin, too. last time I saw them around here, matt was waaaaay too skinny.
    ledzepprules09
    The Pink Spiders freakin rock. If you didn't like one song don't down them. Listen to a different song. They have so many different sounds it's crazy. And if you don't like them because they wear pink then you're just a tard because it doesn't affect their music at all. I'm not a fan of pink, but the band is still awesome.
    Buffy_summers
    I was kind of dissappointed by little razorblade, i guess i thought with all the hype they would be a lil more, i dunno, intersting or something. i mean its a cute song, and the band is great to look at, their style is all the rage at the moment. Although saying that little razorblade's the only song i've heard by them. Is their other stuff any different? maybe a little harder or something? that would be good to hear. they should take some directions from fall out boy. Mix pink spiders looks with Fall out Boys hot sound, and i'm in heaven. xox
    archetype_angel
    The Pink Spiders are an excelent band. I picked up their cd awhile ago and I was amazed. Quite the hybrid of punk and pop. I'm sure they're going to be big, because the pop thing seems to sit better with the mainstream.
    injured234
    ESPguy981 wrote: theyll be forgotten in a year u wait and see
    not even a year, i give them 4 more months
    forsaknazrael
    i got this album as an advance, and i was honestly not impressed - at all. really uninspiring guitar and lyrics. didn't live up to the hype - yet again.
    xQuitEveryGamex
    sakurain
    YYYOOUUUU COPYYYYY HIDETO MATSUMOTOOOOO(the real pink spider..go to google and check out..write pink spider...tell me qhat u see ).... you are soooo silly...make a original namee!
    PAsistem
    Little Razorblade is their video that gets played on Fuse, to me it is a good song, but it is NOT representory of what they sound like. they do not normally sound that poppy
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    xQuitEveryGamex wrote: I think you guys should stop ragging on them. They've gotten farther then any of you. It's obvious they know what's hot now and what the masses want. And that's why they're where they are. FakePlasticMan wrote: i think i saw one of their singles flipping through fuse. ill get a lot of flak for saying this, but it honestly made me cringe a little bit. it just looks like the same pop-punk clutter thats been the fad for years now. As for you, I've heard about all of there songs. Just because they appeal to the majority of people, doesn't mean they suck.
    Obviously they do to the minority of people who don't like them. Da der dee der.