Doolittle review by Pixies

• Released: May 20, 2003
Pixies: Doolittle

The only word I can reall yuse to describe this album is crazy. The guitars are really only filler but add possibly the more memorable riffs of the early nineties to these songs. In true Pixies' style most the songs, album really, focus around kim deal and her kickass bass. She adds fanshmastic rythym to all the songs. One of the reasons I love pixies so much is their strong basslines which make great foundations for ecclectic music and Pixies-esque songs.

The lyrics are just great fun, to sing and to listen to. First time anyone listens to pixies their first reaction is generally along the lines of "Did he really just say what I think he said?" and the answer is usually "Yeah he did." But the fact that they make absolutely no sense means black Francis' voice gets used more as an instrument than something to give emotion, if you get me, what he's saying isn't important nor is how he's saying it but the fact that he is saying it adds another crazy level to the music. The lyrics generally fit the music in that the music is crazy and so is his voice and his lyrics. But if you must sing along to pixies lyrics I do not recommend trying to immitate his voice or sing in a public place, you get funny looks.

In all honesty some of the songs are quite samey but they are also some of the most outstanding songs of the early '90s. It's a great album if you're in a loud kind of mood. In a screaming kind of nonsensical mood. Or in an insipid mood. Nobody does love songs like Pixies. Mainly because when pixies do love songs they don't sound like love songs, they're too upbeat, a pleasant change from regular love songs. In my personal opinion "La La Love You," "Monkey Gone To Heaven," "Here Comes Your Man" and "Debaser" are rightfully the more known songs off the album. However most people underestimate the fantastic songs like "Silver" and "Wave Of Mutilatiion." "Crackity Jones" and "Mr. Grieves" are a bit immmature for most Pixies' fans but that doesn't make them any less fantastic! If I lost this album I would most definately have to go buy it again! Or burn it off my friends, y'know whatever's easier.