Doolittle review by Pixies

• Released: May 20, 2003
Pixies: Doolittle

Considered by many fans to be the band's best album, "Doolittle" proves to be one of the most diverse and unique albums in the history of rock music itself. Though I'll willingly argue that "Surfer Rosa" is better, "Doolittle" gets most of the acclaim, and deservedly so. Whereas "Surfer Rosa" was rough, grungy, and overall just a strictly post-punk pre-grunge consistent & solid piece of work, "Doolittle" takes a 180 turn as Pixies expand their sound and try some of the most experimental things in their short-lived career. Having 15 tracks (2 tracks and about 5 minutes more than "Surfer Rosa"), the album is also well-known for being the only Pixies album without one single bad track. As much as I love "Surfer Rosa", I have to agree that as far as bad tracks, "Doolittle" does its best at not having one to spare.

What's amazing to me is that the band can muster up some of the whackiest, funniest songs imaginable but still be a serious, straightforward band. They seem to know how to perfectly combine odd humor, good fun, and great music, and "Doolittle" is a shining example of just that.

So basically what I'm saying is if you're a rock fan and you don't have this album, you need to go out and buy it immediately. I can guarantee that it will be well worth your money. I'd probably give this one a 10/10, too, because it's truly an alt rock classic.

bassplayer496
    Not only is this album more important than Appetite for Destruction, it's also a million times better. ~Love, Dallas~
    Strokesofgenius
    gitarzero89
    Strokesofgenius: my guitar tutor got me into them & now i cant stop listening 2 the album!! (the devil is 6 you know) but God is 7 anyway, awesome band, i have the Wave of Mutilation best-of, but i wish i had bought one of their actual albums instead