Doolittle review by Pixies

• Released: May 20, 2003
Pixies: Doolittle

Absolutely innovative in terms of what they were accomplishing. The tracks take you from punk to what bands now are copying with orchestration. I think the best examples are songs like "Debaser", "Hey", and "Gouge Away," you receive a hard hitting track like "Debaser" that capitalizes on punk and surf but you also get a fully structured song like "Hey" or "Monkey Gone to Heaven" that uses a bit more melodic or developed more than the standard rock set up. It's hard, thrashing, yet beautiful in its own right.

The lyrics are awesome. Frank Black is a genius in terms of crafting nonsense. He makes plenty of references to religion("Gouge Away" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven"), pop culture ("Debaser"), and a myriad of themes. Kim Deal is an excellent back up singer and solo artist in her own right.

It's one of my favortie albums. Personally, I like it more than Surfer Rosa (which is also amazing) because it's more cleaned up. it maintains the raw sound that the Pixies are well known for and show cases what can be done when the right band meets a great producer and recording team. it's best tracks- "Here Comes Your Man", "Debaser", "Gouge Away", "Hey", and "Monkey Gone To Heaven". It is certainly more of an accessible album than Surfer Rosa and the sales show it. If I lost it, I'd easily buy it again and hope that whoever found the old copy loves it as much as I do.