Rid Of Me review by PJ Harvey

• Released: May 4, 1993
PJ Harvey: Rid Of Me

This album had a rather diverse music style. Polly Jean uses a lot of jazz in her music, a lot of distortion, and A LOT of sexuality. The sound of this album, however, isn't too good. The sound is usually very low. I find myself putting my CD players volume all the way up to hear it at a normal setting. The lo-fi, somewhat gritty sound, however, was a great choice for this album. I couldn't imagine it with polished guitar's or vocal's.

PJ Harvey's lyrics could make even the most devoted nuns run and pleasure themselves. With very strong, very unfiltered lyrics she screams of being sexually frustrated, or pleasured. She also has songs on the lines of being plagued with fault for being a woman. The lyrics go great with the music... they music sets everything up for her "touching" lyrics.

This album is comparable to her first CD, Dry... They both have that lo-fi, low volume sound. My favorite tracks are Snake, Rid of Me, and Dry. She does a cover of, I believe it's, Springsteen. Highway 61 revisited. Great song. This CD is her best... but if you like that happier, more acoustic sound check out "Stories from the city, Stories from the sea" album.

Draft Morning
    I'm in love with PJ Harvey. She's one of my favorite singer/songwriters/performers of all time, of any time. And this is the record that hooked me. Often imitated, never equalled. Swaggering, unpolished, dirty rock, with lyrics which are self-deprecating one minute and self-mythologizing the next. Just listen to the abrasive "Rub Til It Bleeds": it'll tear your head clean off. Polly is truly one in a billion. BTW "Highway 61 Rev." is Bob Dylan's, not the boss's.
    Draft Morning
    ..and regarding the "loudness" of this album, it's mixed with dynamics in mind, those of her band. True quiet and loud dynamics. Like the Pixies. Not like this overcompressed, oversaturated rock-record style of recording and mixing nowadays.