Rid Of Me Review

artist: PJ Harvey date: 09/29/2003 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

PJ Harvey: Rid Of Me
Released: May 4, 1993
Genre: Alternative Rock, Indie Rock, Blues Punk
Label: Island
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Rid Of Me Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2003

Sound: This album had a rather diverse music style. Polly Jean uses a lot of jazz in her music, a lot of distortion, and A LOT of sexuality. The sound of this album, however, isn't too good. The sound is usually very low. I find myself putting my CD players volume all the way up to hear it at a normal setting. The lo-fi, somewhat gritty sound, however, was a great choice for this album. I couldn't imagine it with polished guitar's or vocal's. // 8

Lyrics: PJ Harvey's lyrics could make even the most devoted nuns run and pleasure themselves. With very strong, very unfiltered lyrics she screams of being sexually frustrated, or pleasured. She also has songs on the lines of being plagued with fault for being a woman. The lyrics go great with the music... they music sets everything up for her "touching" lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is comparable to her first CD, Dry... They both have that lo-fi, low volume sound. My favorite tracks are Snake, Rid of Me, and Dry. She does a cover of, I believe it's, Springsteen. Highway 61 revisited. Great song. This CD is her best... but if you like that happier, more acoustic sound check out "Stories from the city, Stories from the sea" album. // 10

Comments