Meds review by Placebo

• Released: Mar 13, 2006
Placebo: Meds

Placebo is back, and it has never been more exciting. Placebo's new CD, "Meds," is something many of us have been waiting for for a long time. Placebo's last release, "Sleeping With Ghosts" (2003), was an exceptionally done piece of work which had great songs, intense lyrics, and catchy guitar riffs. With that said, this new album has a lot to live up to. Just like their other records, Meds does have the distortionized songs, and the slowed-down ballads that we are all use to. But what we have here is unique - stuff that we have not heard before. Placebo is more focused on their ballads and soft-rock rather than their harder, more intense songs. This is not a bad thing at all, and it all still sounds great. This album is to be released on March 13th in the UK and the rest of Europe, but I'm not sure when Canada and America are supposed to have it available. As CDs by Placebo go, this one is sure to be a hit all around the world.

Once again, Brian Molko's lyrics are brilliant. That's all there is to it. His voice has matured greatly, and I love the sound of it. It suits the music perfectly, and makes it more enjoyable to listen to. Brian continues his saga of repeating the title of songs as the chorus, which is his thing, so it's great. Some lyrics have boring lyrics that don't really mean anything ("Let's follow the cops back home, and rob their houses"). But again, Brian Molko is a genius when it comes to lyrics.

Meds, to me, is a great album. Some songs are boring and plain, but most of the songs are fantastic. My personal favourites are "Meds," which features VV Of The Kills, "Infra-Red," "Drag," "Broken Promise," which features Michael Stipe, "One Of A Kind," "Song To Say Goodbye" and the first single "Because I Want You," which is spectacular. When compared to Placebo's other albums, it just doesn't cut it. What I don't like are the songs that distract you form the rest of the album, like "Space Monkey" and "Follow The Cops Back Home." These two, by far, are the worst songs on the cd. It takes more then two full listens before you can say you like anything on it. When I first heard the CD, it didn't get my attention at all, and I was quite disappointed. I still am disappointed, since I was expecting a lot more. But nonetheless, Placebo did not fail on making this an album that is worth buying, for any Placebo fan. But if you're not a Placebo fan, I recommend listening to their singles collection first. If I accidentally deleted this CD off my computer, I would re-download it. And when it is released in the UK, I will definitely purchase it. Not their best, but nothing to complain about. I'm sure I'll think this cd is better in a few weeks or so.