Meds review by Placebo

• Released: Mar 13, 2006
Placebo: Meds

Every Placebo album is different and has a different kind of sound. They all kinda built up to a more techno sound with "Sleeping With Ghosts" which was their most techno album. However, Meds is going back to basics. With Dimitri Tikovoi as producer Brian said he was trying to get them to go "back to the basics" and he wanted to do an album that didn't just show that they were "good at using a studio." This is their best album yet. Don't get me wrong, they still cover a lot of genres and still has a lot of techno stuff on it, it just shows that they have evolved as musicians and are able to show the band underneath. Highlights include the title track Meds which mixes accoustic and electric guitar very well. VV of The Kills features but her voice gets annoying. Other highlights include Blind, Pierot The Clown (brilliant song, very depressing though), Because I Want You, Post Blue (very wierd guitar effects), Broken Promise, and Song To Say Goodbye (very emotional, I almost cried when I first heard the end bit). Saying these, every song is a highlight in its own right.

Brian Molko has always been a great songwriter. Meds is no different. The lyrics are kind of abstract which lets people interperet their own meaning, but you can kinda guess what he is trying to say and get it right, everyone can relate to these songs. The main themes are loss, confusion, revenge, love, addiction and dependence, like on all the Placebo albums. Brilliant.

Brian Molko and Placebo are probably the most underrated musicians of the century. They do not compare to any artists around as they are so different from anyone else, and I love that about them. I love everything about this album, they have definetely achieved more than any of the other albums combined, and that is saying something. I cannot stop listening to this album, it is brilliant and I think Placebo will stay my favourite band for a very long time.