Placebo review by Placebo

• Released: Jun 12, 1996
Placebo: Placebo

Since the first moment you push play and the first chords come out of the speakers, you have the impression this album is full of energy, angst, melancholy, irreverence and three talented young musicians; at the end, those first impressions turn out right, not in vain this master piece of art is considered by different music reviewers as one of the most influential records of the 1990's. In this (debut) album by the influential band Placebo, Brian Molko, Stefan Olsdal and Robert Schutltzberg (the drummer before the arrival of Steve Hewitt) begin exploring the sounds that would define Placebo's sound in the upcoming years, experimenting with heavy punk, melodic voices, and a slight taste of post punk revival and noise rock. Despite the naveness of the musicians at the time, they manage to achieve an original sound, unique and mesmerizing that marked a new era in alternative rock music.

The lyrics in general are simply outstanding, dealing with different topics such as teenage angst, love, drugs (the song Swallow was reportedly recorded during an acid trip)and sexuality (one of the main topics in Placebo's music). In addition, these deep lyrics written by Molko match perfectly the band's music, just as rock legend David Bowie said while talking about Placebo: "Lyrically, Brian is writing deeply evocative and darkly slihering things, quite scary and brilliantly supported by the band's music ..."

Overall, "Placebo" is by far one of the best debut albums ever recorded by any band. The sound can be somehow related to other alternative artists, like Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, David Bowie, The Smiths, yet, remaining unique, original and so ... Placebo-ish. The complete tracklist is quite good, but my personal favourites are "Hang On To Your IQ", "I Know", "Bruise Pristine", "Lady Of The Flowers" and "Bionic". If by any chance this album was damaged or stolen, I would go and buy a new copy straight away. "Placebo" is definetly a "must-have" in any music collection.

nobrightskys
    MOTZART > SABBATH > TOOL > PLACEBO > KENVIN BACON > JAWS > CHUN-LI > BUNNY RABITS > 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN ....wait, what are we talking about?
    Notoriousdoc
    jean_genie wrote: Definitely a must-have for 90s or alt-rock fans. It's cool to see music evolve too. I think it goes something like this: Black Sabbath -> Soundgarden -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Placebo Obviously there are a lot of other influences at work there, but the fun part is watching it change. Even Top 40 Rock - and no, I'm not a Nickleback fan - is cool to trace like this, in a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way.
    You skipped like 20 years
    jean_genie
    Somnambulance
    levak11111 wrote: MY personal opinion Black Sabbath -> Soundgarden -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Pixies -> Placebo - > Muse - > Fratellis
    How would Pixies come after Smashing Pumpkins if Pixies were dead before SP really broke big? By the way, I see it more like this (here's the twenty years everyone else is missing): Black Sabbath-> Alice Cooper-> David Bowie-> Joy Division-> The Cure-> Pixies-> Nirvana-> Placebo. ...and then Muse is pretty much the love child of Placebo and Radiohead nurtured by prog rock and Prince. What spawned from Muse? We'll see in probably another couple years.
    BassFishin
    Vedicardi wrote: Forgot about the Pixies ^
    The Beatles > Alt Rock > Punk/Metal > Black Sabbath > The Pixies > Nirvana
    BassFishin
    Or if you wanna make NO sense at all Bluegrass > Rock n Roll > Punk > Devo > Evanescence > Linkin Park > Weezer > That crappy band down my block HA!
    opiate-
    BassFishin wrote: Vedicardi wrote: Forgot about the Pixies ^ The Beatles > Alt Rock > Punk/Metal > Black Sabbath > The Pixies > Nirvana
    DD There weren't such things as alternative rock/metal/punk before sabbath.
    Stone Agean
    I don't see Placebo as on the list at all, but I'll give them another chance. Maybe.
    jean_genie
    Of course there was metal before Sabbath. Don't forget Earth I just thought I'd do a quick little alt-rock timeline the way I saw it ... I had no idea people were going to get so in-depth about it. Cool.
    Fred1000000
    OKAY, I've got it... Hendrix > Judas Priest > Van Halen > Poison > Faith No More > Nine Inch Nails < Garbage < Placebo ....waitwhat?
    qzuiilw
    my personal opinion Black Sabbath -> Soundgarden -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Pixies -> Placebo - > Muse
    levak11111