All That We Needed review by Plain White T's

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Plain White T's: All That We Needed

Bought this album on the strength of the tiny fragment of "Take Me Away" that they played in the Pen advert (in the UK) and ended up buying one of my all time favourite albums. The Album is very good and quite varied in style varying from a Ballad (Hey there "Deliah" - a lovely song) to fairly high energy rock songs (like "Take Me Away") although nothing gets really heavy. I put it on a lot and sing a long to it a lot. Its a good fun album and well worth the money if you like traditional "bands" and good simple musicianship.

The lyrics are written from the point of view of teenagers and about being teenagers and so have quite a refreshing simplicity to them but they are not "punk" (not really even "Alternative Punk"). They are far too eloquent, aren't really rebelling, and its far too high energy, happy and positive for that. (Even "Take Me Away" which is written about a boy who doesn't want to stay at a party in which his ex is at still manages to do it with a huge amount of energy and it leaves you happy and refreshed (with a sore throat from singing).

I don't really know who they compare to. They are ploughing there own high energy thinking teenage rock furrow and good for them. They don't have that dull agro of modern punk bands or the genuine aggressive stupidity of real punk bands like the s? X pistols and they don't rap or have the aggressive guitar lines of someone like RATM. Although its quite a lot less "rocky" the Ed Shearan "+" album is the closest in terms of quality of lyrics and thoughts behind them. If I lost it I would definitely buy it again. Stand out tracks are probably quite controversial except for two but mine are (at the moment): "Hey There Delilah", "Revenge", "Lazy Day Afternoon" and of course "Take Me Away". But there are others on the album that are probably equally good.