Every Second Counts review by Plain White T's

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Plain White T's: Every Second Counts

On the back of the insert on this album it mentions who the inspirations are for this band (Simple Plan, Motion City Soundtrack, The Academy is, Sugarcult and many more), you can tell very easily that this is most definatly the case. They fall into quite a commercial scene with slow songs such as "hey there delilah" which was a massive international hit and "write you a song." However they show that they can crank up the sound and distortion and deliver some very memorable songs with catchy tunes and enticing lead riffs. This is a good album with 5 or 6 very good songs, however the others are not really that memorable and after one listen that's al you need the songs are as follows. 01. Hey There Delilah - easy to sing to and the music is very basic yet effective, as already mentioned an international hit, the basic rhythm and sound does not change throughout the song so people may say that it gets slightly repetitive, overall a very good song. 02. Our Time Now - this second song on the album is quite a contrast to the first, it comes in with the chorus chords and then leads to a funky verse riff, the drums provide a very jumpy beat which adds to the energy of the song. The song works very well together with a good structure, this could be the next big hit for this band. 03. Come Back To Me - a slow build up to a catchy chorus in this song, the drums still provide a positive beat to this song, also very well structured song, the vocals work well with the guitars, another good song. 04. Hate (I Really Don't Like You) - this is the fourth song and I think this is the most likely to become a single and sell big, the verses are quite slow but an enjoyable listen, the lyrics to this song are very easy to pick up and sing to, the backing vocals work well with this song, the song is about a break up and the emotions after an eventful ending, however this still makes for a very good song. 05. You And Me - this has to be the most indie funk song on the album, the initial riff is very fun and makes you want to listen, the verses and chorus are quite repetitive though so if this isn't your style then the chances are this song isn't for you, however I think this is a very fun song. It is about how two people are made for each other and can finish their sentences etc. 06. Friends Don't Let Friends Dial Drunk - maybe a bland intro, however the lyrics liven up the beat to make this quite a enjoyable mid paced song. This song talks about him being alone at home and her being out with their friends and she wont call him unless she has nothing better to do even though she is meant to love him. This song is not one of their best, some of these songs are quite like the others and this is therefore not one of the best on the album. 07. Making A Memory - this song is about the title "Making A Memory", this is another slow song however it is not as fun or catchy as hey there delilah, the chords and drums are all put together well however they could have done with spicing you this song a little. 08. So Damn Clever - this is a well put together song with the chords and the riff working well together. This song is about under estimating a girl and her breaking his heart. This also seems like quite a commercial song which is a good and a bad thing as I don't know that if it was released people would take to much notice as it would be another of the same thing. 09. Tearin' Us Apart - this song is about him talking to his girlfriends and realizing that he is braking up the relationship. Quite a funky song but quite slow, again not destined for a big hit and slightly samey however still a good song. 10. Write You A Song - this is another slow song on the album, this song is very good lyrically, the chords are well played here and work well to the lyrics, the band has taken the tone down a lot for this song as there is not much going on, mainly the same chords and lyric pattern the whole way through. This song is saying how he is not good enough for her but he will write her a song to show that he loves her. 11. Gimme A Chance - this song is asking for a chance over all of these other guys and if she doesn't like him then she can just walk out and away. The song has a good chorus however I think the verse is a bit bland, well put together song and adds to the story of love and loss throughout the album. 12. Figure It Out - catchy intro and lyrics throughout the song the guitar is obvious with little solo's here and there. This song explains how it's not his fault that there was a breakup, it was her fault and he was misunderstood, a catchy song, appeals to the more pop orientated audience. 13. Take You There - another good slow song, the chorus is very nice to listen to and the song says how they can hide away and shield there relationship in a place where no one knows. The music gradually builds up during the song until it comes to a halt and returns to the verse. A good song however nothing too special. 14 Take Me Away - a good final song, very upbeat, this song says how he is at the end of his temper and he wants to hurt someone but he needs to be taken away to he cant. There is a small solo in this song, not a work of genius but works well with the rest of the song. This is a very well put together album with a good proportion of good songs. Well worth a buy or a listen!

The lyrics were very catchy and made most of the songs good, without the catchy lyrics, some songs could have been quite bland. The lyrics can stick in your mind and are easily understandable unlike some bands and songs where you can't make heads nor tails of some lyrics. The lyrics are all relationship related and this does not just mean break up, it is also about good times for example in the song 'You And Me' Higgenson sings "we got style and baby we know how to use it, that's why we make a good you and me." The Plain White T's have written some emotionally powerfully lyrics and hidden them in amungst catchy songs which means that to get the complete message you have to listen quite hard to all of the songs. I think that lead vocals for the Plain White T's are very good however he could try and show off a little more with his voice. The lyrics and the music worked together very well. The catchy beats were complimented by the vocals on top which made for some very good music.

I think that this is one of the best albums I have bought for a long time, this album doesn't just have the one or two good songs, it has 5 or 6 which is a very high amount I feel. All of the instruments worked well to get the feel and musical effect that they were aiming for. The album just kind of hits you and takes after the first song "hey there delilah" which is a good introductory song but maybe a little slow. I think this album excels with fun, fast songs that blend well with the slow melodies that break up the album. However I think on a couple of the songs there could have been a little bit more edge added to them just to spice it all up a little. Overall a very impressive album and I think this is well worth buying for anyone with any musical taste.

Invisible Girl
    i love this band!! the lyrics are amazing, and i love the way the music blends in with the words. these are guys are awesome!!!
    Give_em Hell
    the lyrics suck hey there delilah sucks every song on this cd sucks the lyrics are gay and it just is a disgrace